Long time since I've been on the list. Hope everyone is doing well.

Ladybird, alas, is not.

Here's the skinny: I drove her to work one day a while back and when I went out to leave, she refused to start. I turned the key to the on position and had all my lights etc... work fine. Once I turned it to start though, everything would die and only come back to life after letting her sit a little while.

First thing I did was replace the solenoid which didn't change anything. Then I switched out the major cables for new ones thinking that they needed it anyway and these were affordable "shotgun approach" fixes. Of course, they didn't help either.

Finally getting into the real meat of it I pulled the starter and took both it and the battery down to Napa for a bench test figuring that I needed a new starter. The theory was that the starter was grounding out inside. (Un)fortunately the starter and battery both tested out just fine.

After reinstalling I ran a couple more tests.

1) If the starter is not connected and I turn the key, I have good voltage on the battery side of the solenoid. Turn the key and its still there.

2) Connect the voltage tester to the other side of the solenoid (starter side) turn the key and I get 12 volts and no problems. (the starter is still disconnected).

3) Connect the starter to the solenoid and put the voltage tester on and turn the key - all the lights go out, starter doesn't turn and the voltage reads 0, then slowly climbs its way back up to 12 volts.

I still am suspicious of the starter but don't feel like dropping $65 on a new one only to find that its not the problem and that once my greasy mits are all over it its mine to keep.

If someone could throw me some hot ideas or tell me where my testing and logic are flawed, I'd be grateful!

Thanks,

Coupe