Thread: Hard Cold Start - thinking of doing this

Hard Cold Start - thinking of doing this

My 64 has a 170 still using an automate 1 bbl with a Ford-o-matic 2 speed. Car runs good and starts right up once warm, however, when she sits for more than 1 week she is hard to start.. it usually takes me a good 30-45 seconds of cracking and pumping the gas pedal before she will start. I replaced the fuel pump (mechanical)but seem to run into the same issue. it takes a while for gas to get back up to the carburetor from sitting. I have been thinking about putting an in-line electric fuel pump only for cold starting and once started I can shut down the electric pump.

Does that sound like something that would help or should I just remove the mechanical pump and use the electric pump going forward?

If so, any recommendations on what pump to use? what should I avoid or what pitfalls do you see with replacing the mechanical pump?

as usual, thank for your help and input you have all provided in the past as I have had my Falcom over 10 years thanks to you guys.

Same issue here with 170 3 sp manual.
    I think its because the carb sits over the exhaust and due to heat soak boils dry?
    Im just anticipating a hard start after s period of not using her.
    I thought about installing a manual hand pump as used on small outboard boat engines.

Auxilliary electric pump will work if it is in parallel with fuel line. Otherwise it will shut off gas flow when switched off.. however, it may only save you 15 seconds in the long run b/c pump will need to prime...