Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gassing it up

Gassing it up

It seems such a simple thing but I seem to have a devil of a time just getting fuel into the tank. I feels like 1/2 of it spouts back out at the pump. Am I missing something? Is there a trick? I pump it as slow as the pump will allow but still make a mess.

Ah ha! You've come across one of the most useful modifications you can do to your Falcon. Yes...they are a real joy to fill (not!) with the stock tube. Especially with today's modern nozzles. Below is a photo of my filler that is now inside the trunk. You will need to find an inlet tube from an older Ford pick-up that has the tank inside the cab, right behind the seat. Then make sure you get a NON-VENTED gas cap to keep fumes out of your trunk. you'll notice a nipple coming out of the tank with a hose on it. That's how the tank is vented to the outside.

If you're tank is rusty inside or you see any signs of leaking gas on the outside bottom you can change the tank out very easily. Get a Mustang tank from a `64-1/2 as it is 16-gallons (your original is 12) and fits without modification. Plus it's way cheaper.

I could write more but those are the basics. And as a bonus your gas filler is locked in the trunk in case anyone tries to siphon the tank late some night!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

The original filler was designed for use with the old style regular gas pumps. They were much longer. Here is a photo.

I made the same modification as Kenny. You'll be able to see them both at the June 1st show.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    The original filler was designed for use with the old style regular gas pumps. They were much longer. Here is a photo.

I made the same modification as Kenny. You'll be able to see them both at the June 1st show.
    P. Brown,

That's a heck of a good idea. I have a gas filler like that that my friend gave me and I think I'm gonna make an adapter that will fit my gas can.

jerry-

Here are a couple of photos of mine.
    Patrick Brown

You're lucky if you have a sedan, there is no such neat and easy fix for the wagons! I have to fill my tank with the spigot upside down and veeeeery slowly.
    Coupe - cooper@icebox500.com

'61 Falcon Tudor Wagon
    200 I6, Fordomatic

'66 Econoline SuperVan
    240 I6, C-4 - 8 Door Model

The coolest trick I saw for a wagon was to hinge the left side tail light and place the filler neck behind.

I saw another wagon that put a filler high on the quarter and used what I think was a Volvo cap.
    Patrick Brown

I must have old gas stations here on the eastside becasue i don't have any of those problems except when it gets full it doesnt kick off the pump and I splash 1/2 a gallon or $2 worth of gas all over the ground.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    I must have old gas stations here on the eastside becasue i don't have any of those problems except when it gets full it doesnt kick off the pump and I splash 1/2 a gallon or $2 worth of gas all over the ground.

Nathan
    You just have the right touch. I was never that patient. I think the Rancheros and wagons may be easier. The rear filler is a PITA.
    Patrick Brown

my ranchero is a pita and the filler neck as been relocated in side the bed..

the 61 futura is no problem put the nozzle in and pump..

Like I said it must be the old gas stations around here..
    i think my wife had trouble when she put gas in it at the newer safeway gas station..

Nathan

Thought I would add this to the thread for future reference. Pat and I were looking for a nicer looking gas cap than the ones we have in the photos above so I ordered one from Rockauto. It looked great but the piece that hung down and locked it on the neck was too deep. I wrote Stant and this is what they recommend:

The part number for the fuel cap is Stant #10704.

Description: Regular Fuel Cap - 2-7/8" Emission Control (1-1/2" x 1-13/64" Shallow Cam)

Stant confirmed that "Emission Control" translates to "Non-vented" so it should be safe for our trunks and is stainless so will polish up nicely. There's a warning sticker on top but it can be removed. I'm picking one up from Action Auto tonight for $6. I'll post again if something about it is screwy.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Well Kenny, that's $144 cheaper than mine was

I don't have much trouble putting gas in, but it does tend to find itself on the side of the wagon for some reason. I plan to look and see if the vent is plugged up forcing fumes out the cap. I've heard (maybe here) that the vent tube get clogged easy on these. Honestly I've never looked. I was under there this weekend doing some body work and the hose could use replacing. Not broken yet, but a bit stiff.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"