Thread: Vin Decoder Date Question

Vin Decoder Date Question

When I put the 23E Date Code for my 1963 Ranchero into the online VIN Decoders I get back a production date of May 23, 1962. Were the 1963 models produced that early in 1962 or should the year be 1963? The VIN number indicates the Ranchero was the 69,412th vehicle produced at the San Jose plant. I'm not sure how early in the production run that would be.

That's a tough question to answer. It seems pretty early in the year to start the next years models but what do I know?? Here's a website you might check out:

http://www.lovefords.org/contact/vr.htm

It looks like he will decode your VIN personally and there's a place to add a special question you might have. Whoever runs the website may have some good reference or knowledge of how they did it back then.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I'm often amazed the date codes I see on parts as I'm cleaning them up. I've found early 63 date codes on my 65, which would mean they were at least gearing up a couple of years before the car was released... but I'd guess that since the 64 and 65 has the same body it could have be a huge parts run for that year. A 64 car was for sure released in late 63... wasn't it? I think that's the same thing they do even today. Anyway, would be interesting to know what you find out.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"