Thread: Wipers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wipers

OK been looking around at available options upgrades and mods for our wiper systems. From trying to find the holy grail of Comet Intermitten 2 speed wipers to late 60's pickup conversion. Seems the real problem I have with mine is noise from the transmission arms, Now I could make bushings or install a wiper kit. I have seen Universal kits for Hot rods and the like that are worm driven 2 speed intermittent wipers. Does Anyone have experience with these or would like to dive into this project with me.

Roudy
    Your current state of mind to fix your current problem is not the same as it was when you created it.

Since you already have the post 62 tranny and linkage, just do the motor and switch upgrade. Get a 79 F100 2 speed motor and a 80s Ford truck 2 speed + intermitent switch with governer. I did this conversion earlier in the year and it works great.

Use the attached wiring diagram to hook it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

So this takes care of the chattering and the noise of the stock system?

It drives me absolutly batty! and I am slowly going through the process of improving on the design.

Roudy
    Your current state of mind to fix your current problem is not the same as it was when you created it.

That depends on what is rattling. You may need to replace something. Climb under your dash and see if you can wiggle the linkage to see where it's coming from.

Mine is reasonable quiet - not as quiet as my SAAB but this is an old American car.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Will do, I had a 4 door 65 years ago and it was the same, I am California transplant so wipers were something used every once and awhile. Now that I am up here and driving the car more I really want to take of this. Its alot like there are bushings missing that should be in the tramission arms, the noise corresponds with the erratic blade movement and the arms and blades are new.

Roudy

I recently did the intermittent conversion on my 67 F100 and purchased 3 switch and modules setups just in case I could do it to the wagon and then have one for a spare. You can find these on ebay all the time, but I've found 2 sets at Pull a Part since getting my first one on ebay. It was a piece of cake on the truck because it just plugged in. I'm not 100% sure whether the connector is the same on the Falcon, but it won't be hard to figure out. I used the same diagram Patrick posted, but I also redid this diagram to remove and improve any superfluous information and to actually get it to match my trucks wiring... which may be closer to the 65 wiring than the 79 wiring (on the car side of it all). So have a look at it as well.

As for as the rattle, I agree, you'll need to inspect the mechanisms to see what's loose. It's going to most likely be a bushing somewhere in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"