Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Here

karenna Guest

Talking New Here

Hello
    I just purchased my dream car today, a 1961 Falcon! I am so excited and happy and I can't wait to drive it I thought it would be fun to join a community of fellow Falcon owners so here I am. My Falcon is all original, and the radio actually works too, what a hoot. The interior is in great condition as is the body, there's very little work that needs to be done to restore it to mint. Does anyone here know anything about putting seatbelts in a Falcon?? Can it be done? Mine doesn't have any and my hubby is not sure about it either . Well that's all 4 now
    Karenna

Hello,

Yes seat belts can be added. Usually requires drilling some holes in the floor.
    Most aftermarket seat belts come with all the installation hardware to install them.. bolts and really big washers..

I prefer the aviator style seatbelts over the push button style..

Nathan

Hi Karenna,

Welcome! Sounds like you found a good Falcon in great shape! Post some photos if you have them.

I'm not sure about a `61 but my `62 had the threaded nut already welded in from the factory for front seat belts. You should be able to crawl under the car and see if they are there. Then you just need to cut a hole in the carpet to install the belts.

When I cut holes in carpet I usually poke an awl through the carpet from below to find the center of the hole and then cut the hole in the carpet with a sharp utility knife. If you or your hubby do any plumbing and have a piece of copper pipe (the size of the hole you want) and propane torch it's even easier. Again, find the center of the hole from below, get the pipe really hot and push it into the carpet as you give it a twist. This will also melt the edges so it won't fray.

I'm positive there won't be any provisions for the rear ones from the factory. Those will have to be drilled. Instructions will probably have guidelines on where to place them but it helps to have someone sit there while you hold them in place and mark the floors.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

ahh...seat belts shmeet belts!!....highly over rated
    I personally refuse to put any in mine...as soon as you do...then you have to wear them...foooey i say........

ooops....i mean....Welcome!!....sounds lovley
    "Never under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time !!"

No seatbelts and non-padded dash make for a great combination. I have them in mine.

No Seat Belts No Roof Even Better Combination
    Absolute 1st Thing I Did To The Convertible.......

I'm sort of in the middle on the subject. Lap belts...I don't know. I suppose they're a good thing although I find myself not putting them on when I'm just running short errands (I know. Most accidents happen within 10(?) miles of your home). In a high speed, catastrophic accident I don't put much faith in them. I suppose they would keep you from flying out of the car if it rolled.

Someday I will install 3-point shoulder harnesses in for the front seats and will feel much better about that combination. Until then I just think good thoughts and drive VERY defensively.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Quote Originally Posted by justahairFalconloopy View Post
    ahh...seat belts shmeet belts!!....highly over rated
    I personally refuse to put any in mine...as soon as you do...then you have to wear them...foooey i say........

ooops....i mean....Welcome!!....sounds lovley
    So I'm just curious. What are the laws in Canada (or maybe just BC) regarding seatbelts. Do you know if you can get a fine if you have them installed but aren't wearing them? Do they make exceptions for cars that didn't originally have them installed?

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

Back To The Point, Welcome To The Falcon Family,karena
    I Might Suggest A Visit To Falcon Parts.com Or Deaborn Classics For The Belts. Hope You Enjoy Your Classic Falcon

karenna Guest
    Thanks so much. I love my falcon I have dreamed of owning one since I was a little girl of 7. I will enjoy, love & cherish my Falcon 4 life! Thanks 4 the 411 on the parts places too.

Seatbelts

I added 3 point retractables to the front and just lap belts to the back of my 60 Comet. There was no sign that the car was ever designed to have any sort of seatbelts, even as an option, but it also wasn't too terribly difficult to add them. My main motivation for adding belts was that I knew the car would be driven by my daughter.
    1960 Comet
    1967 Cougar XR7
    www.lattemom.typepad.com/cougar

Yeah... I wear seatbelts and I vote.

I would feel much safer with 3-point belt in my wagon, but I've not had much time to try and rig them in. I've got the interior out at the moment, so now might be the time to look into this option. But yes, at the very least, add some lap belts -- front and rear. It's as easy as drilling holes and installing them with... yes, really big washers. It's ideal to scout underneath the car in the area you would install these and find the area that is two layers of sheetmetal -- if it's got two layers. I'm pretty sure all our cars had seatbelts as an option an Ford strengthened the floor where needed. I've not had a pre-65 car in about 30 years, so I may be wrong about a 61. Really big washers help because it's hard to pull really big washers through the floor.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"