Thread: 62 starting problem and need help please!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy 62 starting problem and need help please!

Hi All,

I'm brand new to the forum (and car novice) and in a way of introducing myself, I need help!

I have a 62 4-door Falcon (of course) and just lately I can't get it started. It was starting rather rough of late and now it won't turn over at all. When the key is turned there is a buzzing but the starter does not sound like it's engaged. I checked the battery and it's fine, the dome light does dim when the key is turned however. The buzzing is coming from a small box (Select brand) that is connected to the battery. I have checked all the connections to it and they seem fine. What is this small box and could that be the problem? If so where do I get one and what do I ask for?

I know these must sound like silly questions to you pros but any help would be greatly appreciated as I want my bird to fly again soon this summer.

Thanks so much!!

Jim in Ballard

Welcome to the site. I think you should consider a new user name. SPAMMERS will find that address and beall over you. Never use your email address on a web page.

The small box is the starter solenoid. It is mounted to the front of the right side shock tower. I would start with the basics. Clean your battery terminals. Check the cables. Check the ground strap from engine to chassis. The solenoid is cheap to replace if you want to try that.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Jim,

No pros here man, just a bunch of normal Joes.

That box is the starter solenoid which is sort of a big relay to carry all the electrical current your starter needs from the battery to the starter in as direct a path as you can get. So instead of the ignition switch in your dash being the "path" for all that current to flow, the dash ignition switch just tells that solenoid by the battery to "connect" and that's what sends the juice down to the starter.

OK, so this thing buzzes you say? That is typical of one of these failing. There is a ring contact inside of it that gets pulled down by an electromagnetic. When this ring is pulled down it makes contact with those two big terminals and that is what makes the connection from one side to the other, This buzz you here is typical of this electromagnetic circuit working... sort of. Usually, if it's the starter, this will just CLICK loudly and that's it.

A chatter, or buzz as you call it is also heard when the solenoid isn't properly grounded to the fender panel. So be sure that those two bolts bolting it down are clean and secure. Assuming as you say the battery and the terminals are good and very clean (have you actually looked) then this solenoid not being properly grounded to the fender is more common than the solenoid actually failing.

The worst case would be the starter failing. It also has a magnetic circuit in it with a contact. This is to make sure the drive gear is actually engaged into the flywheel ring gear before the starter begins to spin. If this contact is burned up, or the brushes are shot, then the starter can't spin.

So that's the start routine in a nutshell. Start at the battery (voltage/cleanliness), then check the solenoid connections and that it is secure to the inner fender. The solenoid is cheaper than a starter (and easier to install), so replace it before you crawl underneath and pull out the starter.

Hope this helps and was understandable!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"