Thread: Smoke?

Smoke?

I am having a problem with smoke or possibly exhaust (smells like un burnt gas) coming out of the oil filler hole? Any ideas what could be causing this I was thinking a valve not closing and spitting back but I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

-Ed

Ed,

Check your oil level and while doing so smell it. Does your oil smell like gas too? Though it is rare to have this happen and still have the engine run for long, it is possible to have the fuel pump diaphragm fail and have it pump fuel into the oil pan. You'll have to pull the fuel pump to check for this. Gas should not be on the engine side of the pump.

But more than likely you are just seeing normal blow-by. The older the engine gets the rings and worn valve guides allow unburnt gases and gas to run down the cyliders and up through the guides. And this is blow-by.

Typically, depending on the engine and age, a PCV system takes all this blow-by and sucks it again into the intake and tries to burn it again. Older engines didn't have a PCV system and had a draft tube instead, which was a tube that came out of the engine and went below the engine so that road draft sucked it the gases out and exhausted direct to the atmosphere. Can we say SMOG.

So, if you have a PCV system, check the PCV valve. And you should watch your oil level to see if it's rising, which means it may be getting gas pumped into it, which could have explosive consequences if left undetetected. Fuel pump gaskets are cheap to inspect this at the very least.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"