Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie's Transplant

That car is a runner for sure, I'd be lucky to get mine in the low 14's do you ever go to pacfic raceways? we should have a falcon meet there sometime...jh

Pacific

I don't get to Pacific very often. It would be fun to get a few Falcons out there.
    I was thinking about going there before I go up to Mission to race. I need to do a little more tuning with accelerator pump cams.

I have a box of those cams if you need! ..jh

Cams

Thanks, I already bought a box myself. I think I have it pretty close now.
    On the dyno it showed a little dip at initial throttle. It got better when I put in a bigger squiter in the primary. I put a different cam on it. But we didn't make another pull after that. I was there from 10 AM to 3 PM. Cost me $529.00! But it was fun. And I did see some improvement. I have worked the last 2 weekends. So I paid for it! Ha! One of these days I'll take a night off and make it to a meeting. Been working 2nd shift here for 16 years. I'm one of those crazy people that like it! Wayne

Hey Gary,

Just getting back to your engine. Tell me about your torque converter. Is it a stall converter and if so, what RPM?
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Hey Gary,

Just getting back to your engine. Tell me about your torque converter. Is it a stall converter and if so, what RPM?
    A sad story here....
    I knew I was going to need a higher stall speed, so I found a place in Auburn that said they could re-build mine to a higher stall speed. I asked for 2600. Alas, apparently the guy I talked to didn't talk to the guy that did the work, and I got back a really nicely rebuilt torque converter... ...with stock stall speed. Of course, I had that done more than a year before we ever put the engine in the car, and because of the trouble I've had getting it to run at all, I only figured this out recently. The stall speed is about 1500.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

I've been reading a lot and posted a couple of threads in the ether. I've had two people say that this cam needs more initial advance...
    I wonder if they meant the cam timing, not the ignition timing. It was suggested on the FordSix forum that I should maybe have advanced the cam 4 degrees. It's another thing on my "to do" list.

Another more advanced tuning site theorized that the lean condition was because of the cam overlap mixing exhaust in the cylinder at idle much like an EGR valve would. He speculated that the plugs would also look sooty as they do even though we are way lean.
    Would advancing the cam timing (intake valve closing earlier) affect this?
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Quote Originally Posted by MacDee View Post
    I wonder if they meant the cam timing, not the ignition timing. It was suggested on the FordSix forum that I should maybe have advanced the cam 4 degrees. It's another thing on my "to do" list.

Would advancing the cam timing (intake valve closing earlier) affect this?
    They were speaking ignition timing for sure.

How old is the gas in your tank? I'm only asking because Gene and I heard some slight pinging at idle when in gear.
    Patrick Brown

Quote Originally Posted by MacDee View Post
    A sad story here....
    I knew I was going to need a higher stall speed, so I found a place in Auburn that said they could re-build mine to a higher stall speed. I asked for 2600. Alas, apparently the guy I talked to didn't talk to the guy that did the work, and I got back a really nicely rebuilt torque converter... ...with stock stall speed. Of course, I had that done more than a year before we ever put the engine in the car, and because of the trouble I've had getting it to run at all, I only figured this out recently. The stall speed is about 1500.
    This could be a problem with this engine combo.
    Patrick Brown

They were speaking ignition timing for sure.

How old is the gas in your tank? I'm only asking because Gene and I heard some slight pinging at idle when in gear.
    I think I filled it last fall. And I always fill it with Premium.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Gary,

Do you have an air compressor?
    Patrick Brown

Do you have an air compressor?
    No.

(Reply must be at least 10 characters, so this parenthetical statement is added)
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

My thoughts were to try running air up through the missing baseplate screws. I just heard back from Holley stating that they aren't there anyway. I was thinking that they may be contributing to a vacuum leak. Since Holley says they are not there from the factory, we can probably rule that out.
    Last edited by pbrown; March 30th, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
    Patrick Brown

What are the pistons in this engine? Are they flat top or dished? If dished, what CC? Were the pistons installed with zero deck?
    Patrick Brown

What are the pistons in this engine? Are they flat top or dished? If dished, what CC? Were the pistons installed with zero deck?
    Flat-top pistons, zero deck, 56cc chambers. Cylinders are .040-over.

Compression ratio: 9.52:1
    Dynamic Compression Ratio: 7.42:1

The aluminum head has pretty big chambers so it can be used with 200 or 250 without the compression ratio going wild with either one. 200's generally need to run flat-top pistons, while 250's would use dished pistons.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MacDee; March 30th, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4