Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie's Transplant

Okay, so maybe it's NOT the carburetor...

Well, we tried my carburetor on Roger's truck. It worked just fine.
    I went back and borrowed Carter's "swap meet" Holley and tried it again. This time I scavenged all the missing parts from my Holley so I could drive it. In truth, it may work a little better than my carburetor, but it still runs so bad, I'm now convinced the problem is probably NOT my carburetor!
    It only has about 10 in Hg vacuum at "idle", but I can't find a vacuum leak (doesn't mean there isn't one!). I checked that the distributor gear is on the right tooth.
    I really don't know where to go from here. Anybody know a tune-up genius with a reputation for fixing obscure problems like this?
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Disconnect ALL (dizzy, tranny, pcv, etc) your vacuum accessories and cap the ports. Make sure you have nothing connected to the carb except for a throttle and fuel line. Open the electric choke fully to remove that from the system. Then see what happens.

You may have a leak in the dizzt diaphram. The tranny vacuum modulator may be bad.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Disconnect ALL (dizzy, tranny, pcv, etc) your vacuum accessories and cap the ports. Make sure you have nothing connected to the carb except for a throttle and fuel line. Open the electric choke fully to remove that from the system. Then see what happens.
    Done that...

You may have a leak in the dizzt diaphram. The tranny vacuum modulator may be bad.
    Checked those too.

I'll make a list of everything I've done and send that to you.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Pull the carb spacer out. Maybe it is warped.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I've never liked the spraying carb cleaner (or other flammables) method for looking for vacuum leaks. I hold a small hose up to my ear and move the other end around areas where there is a possibility for leaks. You will hear it whistle like crazy.

Be mindful of the fan blade and other spinning parts!!

When I first installed my Weber carb, the slotted holes in the gasket that came with the adapter made a HUGE leak (4 huge leaks actually) so check around every bolt or any type of connection that may leak. Bend hoses around to make sure they're not cracked or if new they may have accidentally been torn or cut. Don't forget the PCV valve. Make sure it rattles when you shake it.

Vacuum leaks can really reak havoc!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Gary, I thought you guys said you ran it on a stand to brake in the cam..how did it run then? which carb was on it? then you said it ran better with the junk yard holley that came off carters shelf.. won't that work? I think you need to check the cam [ degree it in and or check it..] even the best can get things off a tooth....john h

Pull the carb spacer out. Maybe it is warped.
    Hmm... Haven't tried that. Seems like it's seated nicely on both gaskets, though.

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    I hold a small hose up to my ear and move the other end around areas where there is a possibility for leaks. You will hear it whistle like crazy.
    Did that too...

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    When I first installed my Weber carb, the slotted holes in the gasket that came with the adapter made a HUGE leak (4 huge leaks actually) so check around every bolt or any type of connection that may leak. Bend hoses around to make sure they're not cracked or if new they may have accidentally been torn or cut. Don't forget the PCV valve. Make sure it rattles when you shake it.
    Did all that too.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Post
    I think you need to check the cam [ degree it in and or check it..] even the best can get things off a tooth....john h
    Yeah, I think I need to check the cam, too. I want to get Carter's help with that.

I'm working on a complete "chronology" of everything that's been done since I got her home. It's going to be pretty big, so I'll probably post it on my blog.

Stay tuned...

I have not checked for TDC. I don't believe it would be possible for the timing chain to be off. However, it could be possible for the harmonic balancer to have spun. It's new, but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't bad!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Gary-

The thing that keeps going through my head is this: If I built that engine for you and it was pretty much complete when I delivered it, I'd be all over trying to help you figure out why the engine I built runs like it's running. I don't recall if it was run on the rack (have not reread this entire thread), but that would be a key to knowing when things went south.

I'm not saying Carter hasn't been helping, either, because I know he has been, but I think it may be time to get it over to his place, leaving it there as long as needed, so he can figure out why the engine he built isn't running right. From what I saw of his place, he's certainly got the tools to dig into it.

Just my 2 cents.

You'd be welcome to bring it over here and leave it too, but I'm running on negative time to work on things right now - so it might be here a long time.

If you need to tow it - you're welcome to use the club hauler.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"