Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie's Transplant

Great news! Is the Street Fire similar to the 6AL? I like my 6A and Duraspark combo. I read the Street Fire has dials on the side to adjust the rev limiter and a diagnostic LED.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Yes, the Street Fire is almost identical in features to the 6AL for less money than a 6A. From what I understand, it's actually spec'd and marketed by MSD, but is foreign-made. I guess the 6AL also has some flexibility for upgrades the Street Fire lacks. It has an adjustable rev limiter just like the 6AL, and an LED, but I don't recall what the LED indicates .

Info:
    http://www.street-fire.com/cdiignition.html
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

More Progress!

I re-read some of the articles I've collected on ignition timing and Duraspark tuning. Armed with refreshed knowledge, I went out to the garage last Saturday and put the timing light to Freddie. The articles seem to indicate that I should be shooting for 38-42 degrees Total Advance (for 9.0 to 9.5 CR). I discovered I was only getting about 30, and that's with the initial timing set to about 12-14 BTDC! Hmm... Could this explain the poor throttle response?
    Another article explained how to flip the upper advance shaft (I think that's what they called it) around to utilize the OTHER advance-limit notch. With much anxiety, I tore into the distributor. It was a very tense session, but I did finally manage to get all the way down to the upper advance shaft and see that it was set on the shorter notch. After struggling another hour just to get the upper advance shaft off, I finally succeeded in flipping it to the longer notch. I re-assembled everything and set the initial timing per the vacuum gauge method (it always seems to come out about 12-14 BTDC). This time, the Total Advance checked out to about 36 degrees.
    I took her for a test drive, and BOY, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The throttle response is quite good now, and when I push it into passing gear, she really SCOOTS!

There are still a ton of issues to address, but at least she's comfortably road-worthy now. I'm looking forward to taking her out on drives, JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT!!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Good News

Glad to hear you are making progress. Arent the little victories exciting?
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Very cool! It's amazing what a difference a few degrees will make. It inspired we to do some more reading last night on the theory behind the advance curve. I have the DSII spring kit and need to tear into my dizzy some day to experiment.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

As I mentioned somewhere to someone I also did this DSII thing to the Flarechero and the instructions on the Classic Inlines page said I would see a heavy and light gauge spring inside, but I saw two identical springs. I looked at pictures as well as I could to do it, but I'll probably need to track it to see what it's doing in reality. Have only driven it from the garage to the carport.

Glad it's going better for you though Gary.

Say, on a different subject - who did you buy Freddie from and how did it get that name?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Here's a link a lot of people refer to for the DSII:

http://reincarnation-automotive.com/...ons_index.html

I'll probably tear into mine this weekend and see what I can accomplish. Jeff's loaning me his fancy, new adjustable timing light so I can plot the advance curve. Unless someone has a Sun distributor tester I can come over and use!!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post

Say, on a different subject - who did you buy Freddie from and how did it get that name?
    Carter Burns actually found the car on the Boeing on-line classified ads. It was owned by a couple who both worked at Boeing. I think it was actually the wife's car, and she owned it before they were married. I know this because at the Greenwood show, in about 2002, I think, I guy came up to me and said he knew my car. "It was owned by..." and mentioned the first name of the wife (I've forgotten her name), and a different last name. I started to say, "Oh yeah, her name is now..." He cut me off and said "I don't want to know". He was apparently with her when she bought it!

"Freddie" was chosen because the front license plate frame indicates it was purchased at some prior transaction (probably by the aforementioned "wife") at Fred's Fine Cars.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Ah - OK. Just curious after having talked to Dave (Modified17) who said Jim Frey who was part of an earlier iteration of our local Falcon club, once sold a 63 hardtop also named Freddy. I thought it was an odd coinkydink if it hadn't been to you. And I guess it wasn't. But now you know there is another 63 hardtop out there named Freddy.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"