Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie's Transplant

Got a Pedal

Just got back from an "extended lunch" at Pull-A-Part. I scored a pedal from a '79 LTD. It looks similar to the one in Jeff's picture, but the arm appears to be "contoured" a little different. I forgot to bring my midget wrenches and couldn't get at the screws attaching the throttle cable to the firewall, so I didn't get the cable. Maybe I'll make another clandestine run some time next week and try to get the cable.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

and the Cable, but...

I did go back, with midget wrenches, and got the throttle cable out of that LTD. However, it being a V8 car, the cable looks like it will be too short.
    So...
    I ordered the Lokar Universal throttle cable, kickdown cable and bracket/return-spring kit. I think I have everything I need now, except for the link from the column to the tranny shift lever.

I could still rig up the choke cable to shift the tranny...
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Boy... I can't wait to see this thing run. Looking really, really, nice. What's the temp/vac valve on the water outlet going to do? Part of the vacuum advance circuit?

On an interesting side-note, our Aussie division employee was in town last week and I think I may sic him on finding an Aussie head. He was very interested in seeing if he could find one of those... just to find one. We'll see. I'm not sure I'd consider it with the 4-speed I have. 8.5" clutch would not hook up, I'm sure, if I make too much more power. I'm already a little worried with a higher ratio rear-end I just put in.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    What's the temp/vac valve on the water outlet going to do? Part of the vacuum advance circuit?
    Frankly, I don't know WHAT that thing is! We're putting the temp sending unit at a port at the back end of the head. I'm guessing that thing on the water outlet housing will disappear before it gets to Pat's place for the swap.

Update: I just bought a couple of tie rod ends and a piece of rod to make a column shift link similar to the Lokar. $17 instead of $60. I've also sprung for a chrome valve cover. I decided the blue cover looked out-of-place with the aluminum head and black K&N filter.
    Last edited by MacDee; May 4th, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    ...He was very interested in seeing if he could find one of those... just to find one. We'll see....
    See if you can get him to find two!!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Quote Originally Posted by MacDee View Post
    Update: I just bought a couple of tie rod ends and a piece of rod to make a column shift link similar to the Lokar. $17 instead of $60.

I will bring my Lokar link to the swap day... if your home-made one has issues you can borrow mine to get home - then figure something out at your leisure. I'm collecting the parts but my swap is still two years out.

I won't be able to stay long but will deliver the hoist and hang out for an hour or two. Did we ever firm up a venue?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    I will bring my Lokar link to the swap day... if your home-made one has issues you can borrow mine to get home - then figure something out at your leisure. I'm collecting the parts but my swap is still two years out.

I won't be able to stay long but will deliver the hoist and hang out for an hour or two. Did we ever firm up a venue?
    Thanks, Jeff!
    I only guessed at the size for the tie rod ends. Could you confirm from your Lokar unit if they're 1/4-inch? The only other issue is having access to a thread die to thread the rod. Does anyone who is planning to be there have a 1/4-28 die we could use?

I believe we're still doing the swap at Pat's house.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

My house is still available. We just need to set dates. I'll be in NY at the end of this month and Lisa is quickly filling dates with Summer activities.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I have a full tap and die set, so I can bring it if Pat doesn't have a set. I'll be there... just depends on the date for me too. It is still the weekend of the 22nd, right?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by MacDee View Post
    Thanks, Jeff!
    I only guessed at the size for the tie rod ends. Could you confirm from your Lokar unit if they're 1/4-inch?

If you are talking about the diameter of the rod - it mics out at .312 (5/16") - the hole diameter for the bolts in the rod ends are the same.

See this link about Kenny and his 1/4" attempt.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...hlight=linkage

Okay, so I just picked up a couple of 5/16 Hiem joints and a piece of 5/16 rod. Whatever....
    I also just dropped off the two driveshafts at Drivelines NW. By the end of next week I'll have a driveshaft ready to go in.

I'm not completely sure, but I think I have everything on my "worry list" resovled! I'm sure I'll find a whole bunch more stuff to worry about before May 22, and we'll run into still more "worry stuff" May 22-23! I guess I just won't worry about that for now.
    Last edited by MacDee; May 7th, 2010 at 02:17 PM.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

1/4" vs. 5/16"... Too bad you don't know any Mechanical Engineers at Boeing that could run some calculations for you

This is not a worry for you - but I will be in Whidbey Island that Weekend. I will bring the Lifting Hoist and the Lokar linkage over to Pat's house prior to my exit from Seattle. If you guys are still at it on Sunday, I'll swing by.

I know Roger also has a hoist but if he doesn't have to bring it, perhaps he can drive his gas sipper down rather than the Club Hauler. He could bring his engine leveler though as mine just has a single point chain.

I was really looking forward to this project but I'll be in Missouri for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. Someone take pictures and send me some notes for the summer newsletter if you can.

I was also hoping to be there in case there was something you missed on your worry list and I live a few blocks from Patrick. But I'm sure you'll have it covered.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    1/4" vs. 5/16"... Too bad you don't know any Mechanical Engineers at Boeing that could run some calculations for you
    The Mechanical Engineer seems to think a 1/4" rod would be plenty stout. However, a 1/4" bolt in 5/16" hole is NOT GOOD. Therefore I am prepared to go either way!

I know Roger also has a hoist but if he doesn't have to bring it, perhaps he can drive his gas sipper down rather than the Club Hauler. He could bring his engine leveler though as mine just has a single point chain.
    Speaking of Club Hauler, I've been meaning to ask if Roger would be willing to haul the engine in the Club Hauler. He lives not too far from Carter's place (Cathcart), and I would certainly be willing to pay for the beast's gas. I have a buddy lined up to haul it, but it's pretty inconvenient for him, and I'm sure he would be delighted if it turned out he didn't need to.

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    I was also hoping to be there in case there was something you missed on your worry list and I live a few blocks from Patrick. But I'm sure you'll have it covered.
    I think I've got just about everything on the Worry List covered. Well, except....

I flipped the tranny shift lever over to accommodate the column shifter. (Had to drop the pan and valve body to access the nut.) However, unlike Kenny's that jogs out away from the tranny case, mine jogs IN and clears the pan flange on the case by only a small fraction of an inch! I might be going back over to Carter's place perhaps this Friday and see about bending the lever a little bit. If I can't get enough room for a nut and excess bolt length (the Mechanical Engineer says I need two thread showing), I'll drop the pan and valve body again so I can put a bolt through the hole in the lever from the inside out.

I dropped off the driveshafts at Drivelines NW last Friday. I'll pick up the modified unit on Friday (perhaps on my way over to Carter's).
    Last edited by MacDee; May 10th, 2010 at 12:14 PM.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Speaking of Club Hauler, I've been meaning to ask if Roger would be willing to haul the engine in the Club Hauler. He lives not too far from Carter's place (Cathcart), and I would certainly be willing to pay for the beast's gas. I have a buddy lined up to haul it, but it's pretty inconvenient for him, and I'm sure he would be delighted if it turned out he didn't need to.
    What? I thought you were just gonna throw that into your trunk and drive it over there yourself.

I've yet to do my master cylinder swap on the "club hauler" and don't really want to drive it too much until I get that done, I may be able to take Gene up on helping me do that before the swap-meet this weekend -- but that would only be tomorrow or Wednesday if at all. The brake fade is pretty severe on the thing. So, assuming I can get that done between now and then, I suppose we can arrange that. I've got my other pickup too, so we could use that if we have to.

And yes, I'll bring my leveler too.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"