Thread: The Box ?

The Box ?

Hi all: After having my fine falcon for almost thirty years, there isn't much I havent done to it,several motors,transmisions,disk brakes,a 8" rear end and so on, but have never removed the steering box,it must have almost 250,000 by now,the car had185,000 when I got it,so it's really worn out..I think the ex.manifold need to come off , and what ever..anyone done this? thanks
    john h

I'm wanting to do this if I ever get the bucks to finish my cylinder head. I'm going to pull the drivetrain and clean/paint the engine bay and tunnel at that time. I would also clean up all the steering linkage and steering box.

So I can't offer any tips but I'll be following the thread!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

All I can say John is that it would be easier on mine than yours. Though you might minimize engine disassembly if you pull the column out first from above/inside. That's pretty simple. This might give you more angles of the dangles to get the box and shaft out the bottom.

And then of course there's the sawzall and then rack-n-pinion.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I haven't done this either. I've heard that you pull the column from inside. Then jack the car up as high as you can and pull the box plus shaft out the bottom. Cover the drivers seat with tarps so you don't get grease on it. Maybe pull the seat to get it out of the way.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Actually you pull the column then you pull the box, all from inside the car..

Remove the rubber column seal at the floor with the 2 piece metal plate. then pull everything from inside the car. Most recommend that you pull the front seat out before doing this task..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

I have a 63 and the box will not go through the fire wall [ hole not big enough ] I see that the manual says out through the engine side ....we will see... also I just remover the spring tower to firewall braces today, not fun, but dunn, now I can see the master cyl. wow thats cool....
    john h

Quote Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Post
    now I can see the master cyl. wow thats cool....
    Now you need one of those chrome MC covers.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Nathans right just said it sorta ....
    take the wheel off and all the stuff...then theres a C clip that holds all the colum on to the shaft...along with other nuts n bolts...undo all that crap...slide the colum off....then undo the box from the frame and pull it and the shaft...out from under the car....badabing
    "Never under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time !!"

John,

I still think you should sell that new-fangled thing you bought and get your welder friend to make you something like this:

Oh... and ditch that fruit-jar master sooner rather than later!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"