Thread: Pvc

oldford63 Guest

Smile Pvc

Hey Everyone,

I just located an original PVC Valve for my 170 I6. I would like to restore it (if that is possible) before I install it. A little clean up and paint will do externally but I was wondering what I could do to restore the valve internally. Do any of you guys have any ideas how I could clean the PVC Valve up on the inside to restore it for use on my engine? Should I let it soak in gasoline or carb cleaner to clean out the inside? Please help, I really would like to install this onto my engine and take the open vent pipe off.
    Thanks

PVC = PolyVinyl Chloride
    PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation

Not trying to be a smart a**...I say the same thing all the time!

A PVC valve should really be changed occasionally and are pretty cheap. I would just go buy another one. But...most people say if you can shake it and hear it rattle inside that it's working.

One other thing I've found is that I went through several very noisy valves and finally went to the Ford dealer to get a Motorcraft valve. It was as quiet as could be. The others from the parts store all made an annoying rattle sound at idle.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

oldford63 Guest

Smile

Thanks for the input.

The original PCV valve is made of metal and has a pipe on it's outlet side for connecting a hose back to the air cleaner. It's housing has a pipe on it's inlet side that connects directly into the engine block. I did not know of any newer PCV valves that would work on my 1963 170ci engine. If any of you guys know of any, can you recall where to get one? I think a plastic PCV valve would just melt being connected into the side of the engine block.

I will put my original question up again. Does anyone know if I can clean up the inside of an original metal PCV valve, and if so what should I use.

Thanks again guys.

brake clean, carb cleaner,lacqure thinner. will work..just get a small brush and a can and have at it,also do it outside, they all stink and so will the house if its hooked to the garage...john h

oldford63 Guest

Smile

Hey thanks, I will be sure to go out in the street. Don't need to get on the wife's bad side, she already puts up with a lot.

I can only imagine all this seems silly to you guys but it has taken me about a hafe a year to find one of these original PCV valves. Up till now the only one I have ever seen was in a picture in an old Ford manual.

I do not want to clean it with something that is going to damage it inside. Are all the parts inside the valve metal? Once I have this thing cleaned up will I be able to here anything moving back and forth if I shake it? How can I tell if it is functioning correctly or not?

Thank all of you for your time,
    Guy

I think there is just a metal plunger and a spring in most PCV valves and not really any rubber that would get damaged. I would use lacquer or paint thinner as I think it's the most mild. Maybe even a soak overnight and blow it out with some air.

Post a photo when you get it installed. Always good to see original factory setups! A rattle should let you know if it's going to work but you can also hold your thumb over the hole with the engine running and you should get suction. You may have to unscrew it from the block to do this test if I'm envisioning how yours is set up. Mine just pulls out of the valve cover.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)