Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 1962 Falcon (Martha)

Gene,

The 62 Falcon has the brake switch using 1/8 pipe thread screwed into the front of the single fruit-jar master cylinder, as well as a 4-way tee with one part being 1/8" pipe thread. Because this is hydraulic pressure, I recommend a Loctite-based pipe-thread sealant for this job. NOT teflon tape or plumbers goop. You can get the good stuff at most auto parts stores.

First of all, though, you'll need to get two fittings for the new MC to adapt the ports to 3/16" brake line, which is what the Falcon uses; a short piece of 3'16" brake line -- about a foot long; and a 1/8" female to female pipe coupler. You must use the Falcon push-rod in the new MC, so don't put the new one in or your're going to dread its removal later.

You can use the original Falcon 4-way tee that is on the front of the old MC by; a) using the two-sided female 1/8" pipe coupler join the old brake switch to the tee using the good pipe thread sealant; and b) tie the two existing front brake lines to each end of the tee (as they are now) and c) using the short 12" long 3/16" brake line connect the rear-half of the dual MC (the largest reservoir goes to the front brakes) and to the center part of that 4-way tee. So that's 4 connections to the existing tee: brake switch, two front brake lines, and short line going to rear/largest section of new MC.

Now you connect the rear brake line to the front port on the new MC. If the line seems too short to reach, you can get a short section of line and a 3/16" brake-line coupler. I just loosened the clamp for that line at my firewall and made it reach.

As an alternate for the brake switch, you can use the newer style brake switch on the brake pedal under the dash, but that will require getting one of those and rerouting the wiring as well. If the hydraulic brake switch is OK, that's the fastest method.

Hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; July 16th, 2009 at 01:41 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Gene,

Never mind what I posted -- since I didn't connect you with you, but with Martha which is the 62 Falcon Joanna started this thread from. Dang headless chickens strike again!

You just need a 3-way 3/16 brake-tee, a short section of 3/16 brake line, and any adapters to make both ports on the MC 3/16" from what they are now. The rest of what I wrote, sans the brake-light switch part, is correct and the same -- including using your push-rod.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"