Thread: My 1962 Falcon (Martha)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My 1962 Falcon (Martha)

Hello! I discovered a card for this site on my windshield last night and was super excited to know that this Club exists!

My grandpa transferred the title of his 1962 Ford Falcon (4-door, 3-speed) to me shortly before he passed away last summer, and I had it trailered from his home in Pittsburgh all the way to Seattle. It took a good amount of money to get the old girl up and running, but mechanically, she's pretty sound now. Definitely still a fixer-upper, as the radio, defroster, and heater don't work, and the paint could use some retouching in a few spots. But despite her flaws, I love this car so much!

The mechanics (at Emerald City in SoDo) who got the old girl up and running named her Martha, and it seems to fit...sounds klunky and loud, but sweet at the same time.

-J
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a nice gift from your Grandpa (and what a nice way to remember him). She's a good looking car!

Feek free to keep posting here, the membership is a pretty helpful group and seems to enjoy working with people honestly looking to learn and better their ride.

Do you plan to use your "bird" as a driver or are you going to restore to show condition or something in between?

Anyway, WELCOME.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I have a guy that fixes old tube radios.. usually chrages around $75..
    It takes him a while to locate parts, but I have 3 working Am radios.. kinda nice though I don't listen to them..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Kenny (Club Secretary) and I work on Harbor Island. One of our Co-workers live not far from you, and Kenny had her tag you. It is a very good looking car.

Thanks!

Thanks so much, all of you, for the replies!

I drive the Falcon several times a week, but since I work out in Bellevue, I still own my more "functional" car to go back and forth in. I can't afford too many extreme restorations so I'm just enjoying riding her around how she is, flaws and all. I plan take good care of her, though, so she stays in good, running shape!

The one bad thing about my Falcon is she HATES hills. You can smell the clutch burn if the hill is too steep, so I really have to plan my routes when I drive her. Is this a common problem in these older stick shift cars or is this something that can be improved?

Also have a few spots on the exterior that could use some sanding down and retouching. I'll post some pics later to show the extent. Is this easy to do cheaply (can I do it myself?). I have the old can of paint my Grandpa had mixed (he repainted it the original color), but there's barely any left now. Is car paint similar to wall paint, as in you can take a swatch someplace and have a color custom mixed?

I would love to get the radio fixed! Any contact info would be appreciated!

Thanks again! Glad to be here and have a source of help and support for my car!

J

It's not normal to have a clutch burning smell. It could be either you are still getting used to driving a stick and slip it too much until you get back in practice or the clutch and pressure plate may be worn out... not a hugely expensive thing.

You can bring you car to a good paint supply store such as Wesco Autobody Supply (closest may be Lake City Way or Kirkland) and they can custom match a quart or may be able to put it in spray cans for you. If you have some left in your can you could even drive your "good" car to the paint shop and show them the can. If you bring the can they can be sure to get a compatible type.

You can easily touch up the body yourself. Just keep the rust at bay and enjoy it. Do a little research on the web or pick up a book on basic auto painting. You will also get some good pointers here.

Be sure to plan on bringing it to the All Ford picnic in Bellevue at the BCC on June 7th. It's more of a gathering than a car show. There are many daily drivers showing original patina. They even let my car in

http://www.efv8psrg.org/ford_picnic.htm

Nathan, could you give me the name of the radio fella? I just discovered today that a 1964 radio isn't going to fit a 1962 radio slot. I've got a line on a beat-up 1962 radio, but it doesn't play. ( I guess I've also got a potential great deal on a pristine 1964 radio... )
    If it's running, take it apart and see why.

I'm interested in the "pristine" '64 radio. I believe it is the correct unit for my '65 also. By "pristine" I am assuming it plays and tunes correctly as well as looking good? PM me with a price.
    Gene

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs