Thread: Engine Rebuild

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    oldford63 Guest

Smile Engine Rebuild

I have a 1963 170ci I6 that I am planning to rebuild completely. My goal is to add a little power over stock but keep the overall original stock look. I am not looking to race by any means, just want a little better performance so I can run an AC unit this summer. Do you guys have any suggestions where I might be able to get engine parts to accomplish this?
    Thanks for your time,
    Guy

Start off my finding a good 200ci. It shares the same outside dimensions and will bolt right in where the 170 was. The 200 was very popular and was made all the way to 1983 so they are plentiful.

You can get stock rebuild parts from any auto parts store. You can get some aftermarket parts from www.classicinlines.com.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Don't forget Clifford performance as another source for speed parts..

Classic inlines makes an aftermarket aluminum cylinder head for the small sixes.. very cool and a little pricey.. $1500..

I would find a better cam, not too big though..
    Go .030 on the pistons..
    Mill the head .030 to compensate for the thicker head gasket..
    Find a cylinder head from a 78 or so 200 or 250. These heads have the largest intake log, and the largest valves plus it should have hardend exhaust valve seats.
    Get a header and upgrade the carb..

Nathan
    Last edited by Nathan289; March 26th, 2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: forgot a step
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

I agree with the gang. 200 is the way to go! I will be soon replacing my 170ci with a rebuilt 200ci. I found a complete engine still connected to a C4 tranny on Craigslist for $150. Apparently it was running fine when it was pulled 5 years ago. even a standard Ford Engine Rebuild kit in the 200ci with stock parts would give as good or better performance than a slightly hopped up 170ci.

I'm going to just overhaul the bottom end and use my existing 170ci head for now. It was redone a short time ago. Eventually I'll find a newer head for all the reason stated byte other guys. That is easy to swap out later. Just trying to spread out my expenditures over a couple of years.

I find several bottom end rebuild kits on the net for around $450 if you don't want anything too fancy. That doesn't include a cylinder bore or regrinding on the crank. That would probably add another $150 to $200.

I'd agree if you're going to put the time and money into something, get a later 200.

I have a `82 200 head I'm working on right now. Actually, it's on hold until I pay off a few things but I got most of the parts from Classic Inlines. I'll get headers when I install and work on the bottom end later.

I had a few things fixed by a cast iron welder and now I'm porting and polishing. My list of upgrades are:

- Oversized stainless steel valves (1.5" exhaust, 1.75" intake)
    - Install hardened valve seats.
    - Three-angle valve job (Top Cut: 30°, Valve Seat: 45°, Bottom Cut: 60°).
    - Undercut intake valve 30° (do not undercut exhaust valves).
    - Install bronze valve guides.
    - Machine for teflon valve seals.
    - Mill head .030 (57cc chambers, 8.1:1 CR).
    - Mill exhaust port surfaces as needed.
    - Mill carburetor base surface as much as possible to lower Weber.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Of course I agree with the group, but keep in mind that going post 65 I6 will have a different bell housing than the pre 66 stuff. So this would turn your engine rebuild into an engine and tranny swap.

The main reason for going to a 200 is the stronger block with 7, as opposed to 5, main bearings. If you don't want to do the tranny you can get a pre-66 200 (like I have) and it'll give you the strength of the 200 and same bell housing as what you have now.

That said you can build a very drivable 170 that's got a little more gitty-up if you want to keep it all stock, just consult the machine shop you're getting the parts from, or contact Clifford.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"