Thread: Overkill - I admit it.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Overkill - I admit it.

I will admit that these items were overkill and not needed and are the result of my over-thinking things. After this I have sworn to myself to back away from the car and not do anything else to it.

I added a thermostat in between the stock automatic transmission cooler at the base of the radiator and the auxiliary transmission cooler that I had previously added.
    5-DCP_0271.jpg

The thermostat routes the fluid from my glorious Ford-O-Matic automatic transmission through the base of the radiator and then opens at the optimum 180 degrees and routes the fluid through the auxiliary cooler as well. That way the fluid stays at its most efficient temperature. Not to cool not too hot. The viscosity of the fluid drops as it warms up to operating temperature and this results in less energy loss in the transmission compared to pumping cool, thick fluid. Technical info: Tru-Cool Long brand Transmission Cooler External Thermal Bypass 708-4739P6 (180°, low pressure drop, GVWR 40,000 lb) from Amazon for $42.64 with free postage from Oregon Performance Transmission.

I also added a Made in Australia MagneFine in-line magnetic transmission fluid filter purchased from Amazon for $15.60 with free postage from Lakes Transmission. I routed the hose in front of the right horn and placed the filter under the battery tray and in between the horn and the filter on top of the frame rail
    2-DCP_0266.jpg

3-DCP_0267.jpg

Magnefine_Auto%20Transmission%20_Filter(1).jpg

Technical info:
    See: http://magnefinefilters.com/Magnefin...lter-R038M.htm "With Dual Filtration - Patented Technology. The unique design and patented process makes this magnetic filter the most effective magnetic in-line filter available. Filtration begins by the placement of a powerful magnet at the fluid entry point. Because the filter is positioned in the cooler return line, all contaminated fluid must flow within the full effective range of the powerful magnet removing 99% of hard wearing ferrous metal particles, from sub-micron level and above. Secondary filtration on non-ferrous dirt, clutch fibers, aluminum and brass is filtered out by 25 micron pleated paper membrane. The perforated steel core prevents membrane collapse and allows for high-pressure surges that can occur under normal operating conditions. The filter's safety bypass/pressure relief valve ensures consistent fluid flow under all operating conditions. The unique design of the magnet, at the entry point, allows metal particle removal even in by-pass mode.” See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6QeXRMp53Y

The last item I blame on Roger. It is all his fault. He told me about putting a magnet on his oil filter and it got me thinking. And me thinking is a dangerous thing.
    1-DCP_0264.jpg

The magnet was expensive, $47 including postage (using a low price match).
    But, ... it has 8 powerful rare earth magnets. I checked on e-bay and the magnets alone cost $3 each. The FilterMAG did cost a $23 premium over just the magnets, but it is assembled with the magnets in alternating poles in one unit and has a laminated stainless steel backing that is is magnet-proof. It really does work amazingly well. It is powerfully magnetic on one side, but not the other. That prevents the magnet from picking up road trash. The $23 premium is the fee for the engineering design and fabrication.

Technical information: Made in USA FILTERMAG™ SS365 Large for 3.5 – 4 inches, diameter, 5.6 sq. in., oil filter magnet from JEGS Performance Automotive Parts for $47.09 (after low-price match) including postage. See: http://www.jegs.com/i/FilterMAG/384/SS365/10002/-1 “Energize for Your Oil Filter! FILTERMAG™ powerful rare-earth magnets trap and hold wear-inducing metal particles down to less than 2-micron that the 20-micron oil filter element alone cannot stop. The strong magnetic force holds FilterMAG to the oil filter for an easy 30-second installation. FilterMAG's can be used to diagnose engine problems and will extend oil life. They are also totally reusable and will last the lifetime of your vehicle. Available in pairs for Maximum Protection or single units for Powerful Protection. FilterMAG SS Series magnets are geared toward the oil filtration needs of light-duty automotive, light truck, and imported motorcycle applications. Keep metal particles out of your oil with a layer of protection that goes far beyond standard filters! Approximate Pull Force 160 lbs.” “The eight Neodymium magnets attract and trap metal particulates as small as 2 microns in size and hold them tightly against the oil filter's walls.”
    Last edited by ew1usnr; September 5th, 2015 at 03:25 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)