Thread: 1962 Fordomatic two-speed Trans

1962 Fordomatic two-speed Trans

I am looking for transmission parts for my 1962 Ford Falcon Fordomatic two-speed. Does anyone have any suggestions? If parts are not available, maybe a complete rebuilt? Thanks!

RedTex Guest
    I am about to pull the ford o matic from my 62. it shifts fine but leaks lots of fluid. You can test drive it if you want. I am told it needs a rebuild. I just got a C4 and will soon be starting the upgrade.

Usually these old transmissions if they shift fine, but leak, leak on the seals and the pan - all easily addressed. If you want to try and make them last a while longer (after sealing it all up externally) you can try something like the Lucas tranny conditioner or the like. Then tend to soften internal brittle seals and o-rings and make them seal better
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Ford-O-Matic

Quote Originally Posted by seafreak View Post
    I am looking for transmission parts for my 1962 Ford Falcon Fordomatic two-speed. Does anyone have any suggestions? If parts are not available, maybe a complete rebuilt? Thanks!
    On Page 8 of this months Falcon News there was an ad saying: "Fordomatic two-speed rebuilding kits with gaskets, o-rings, lip seals, bronze friction and steel clutches, sealing rings, front and rear seal, $145 to $165. Specify engine and year. Bands $55 each exchange plus $25 core charge each, adjustable modulator $20. Bushings, washers, pumps, and miscellaneous hard parts available. Dave Edwards, (781) 449-2065 any time."

This site lists a lot of stuff: http://www.autotran.us/fmkits1.html I like their note: (The only true two-speed is the 1959-64 with the aluminum case). The Ford-O-Matic that was introduced in 1951 was Ford's first automatic transmission. It had a cast iron case with a manual low gear and automatic intermediate and high gears. Ford produced a special Ford-O-Matic for the Falcon that had an aluminum case and only had the intermediate and high gears. I guess Ford thought that the Falcon was so light weight that the low gear was not necessary.

I scanned a 1952 Fordomatic Drive brochure for your viewing pleasure. The language that they used in the ad shows that Ford was really proud of that transmission when they introduced it. They called it a "hydro-mechanical nerve center" and compared it to the "reflex actions of the human nervous system". It was innovative high-technology. Automatic transmissions were new to the public and Ford had to explain what the transmission was and what it did.
    1 Cover.jpg

2-3.jpg

4-5.jpg

6-7.jpg

8-9.jpg

10-11.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 5th, 2015 at 02:51 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)