Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Appreciate the offer Roger- I might take you up that if I can get by in June.

I drove the falcon to work Friday afternoon and put about 25 miles on it between there, going to the chiropractor, and driving around before I went home. The engine run absolutely perfect and tranny and clutch seemed perfect as well. I've got to get the right tires. Everyone commented about them....just can't see buying rubber that is going to rot in my garage yet.

Funny thing- Gene, remember that the front ball joints didn't seem like they didn't have enough grease in them? I couldn't seem to get more in with my small hand gun at home so I stopped into Jiffy Lube on the way home to have them try it using a professional gun with more pressure. Guess what- they were out of grease! What kind of place with "lube" in the name runs out of grease? I thought that was pretty funny.

There's some kind of popping sound when I do a hard turn like out of the driveway or into a parking spot. It seems to be coming from the passenger side front suspension. I was wondering if it's just due to the ball joints not having enough grease (so I thought I'd try that first- but didn't get a chance to.) I suspect it might have something to do with the lower control arm having that twist in it that Larry and Gene helped bang back into shape. I stuck my head under and took a peek, and it seems to not be as straight as when we installed it back on the car. Anyway, that's for next trip to find out. Anyone have any ideas...please post!

I also have some kind of light so "clang, clang" sound coming from the trunk area. Haven't figured that out yet, but I don't think it's the diffy. I heard it once when I closed the trunk, then played with the trunk lid springs a bit and it didn't happen when I closed the trunk after- but I haven't had a chance to drive it again since then.

I also heard the drivers side spring mount knock...Roger, not sure if you remember the front mount for the leaf springs that's bent? So the mounting bolt with the big cup washer does not fit into the cup (the bolt was bent before- I straightened it but maybe shouldn't have. I'll need to figure out how to address that one way or another at some point.

I decided my "take back to Canada" project is the steering wheel. It's in my suit case along with everything else I think I'll need except the paint. I have a free weekend coming up. I hope I can get the paint delivered in time.

Speaking of my flight back to Canada today....it was supposed to be a direct flight. The pilot got on and said the smoke alarm went off for the baggage compartment and the fire suppression system went off and they had to make an emergency landing in Spokane! They were very professional, but I thought there was a small chance that I should have updated my will and make sure the falcon was going to Jason, and then if Jason didn't want it, done it to Roger to use for the benefit of the club in whatever way he see's fit...but about 7 minutes later we were on the ground. They stopped the plane immediately and sent the emergency crew out. No fire, and apparently the fire suppression system didn't go off. Four hours later and I'm sure a lot of paperwork they sent a plane from Vancouver and I'm on my flight to Toronto now.

I decide to push the radio project down the road a bit and focus on the steering wheel. I emailed Joe's radio restoration about the tuner and he said there is a clutch in the tuner inside that when you push a tuning preset button disengages so that the button can move the tuner to the channel it's set to. He said they have to take it apart and replace the "clutch" which is basically a plastic rubber like disc that over time gets too hard and slippery. Anyway, I was going to try and figure out the capacitors to order and have them delivered the house for when I am back in June. Planning a two week visit late June and early July including some "staycation." Hopefully I can bring the radio over Roger and check the tubes.

I'll post some pics on the steering wheel project when I get it going.
    Last edited by dhbfaster; April 30th, 2017 at 06:40 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree