Thread: Mini regional & me

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mini regional & me

Well looks like the delivery may not make the show. After the last trip to Seattle on my way home I was having a hard time keeping her n the road. I thought I was just tired. I drove her to work the following week and what the F*** she was every where.
    So I get her home dove under the front end and my drivers side strut bar had come loose. I thought ok no problem. I torqued it backup looked for any other issues and went for my test drive. Same thing. So my only hope right now is to see if our one only good alignment shop can squeeze me in and see if it's just knocked out of alignment.
    Bad news is our one good shop is usually three weeks out on appointments?cross your fingers cause if she needs parts she's staying home.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Check the lower control arm and make sure it didn't get bent. There is a lot of force held back by the strut rod, especially when braking. Did it come loose at the front or rear? I'm assuming at the front.

Good luck and I hope to see you at the show. Let me know if you need parts. I think I still have my old original strut rods and bushings.
    Last edited by pbrown; September 6th, 2014 at 04:13 PM.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

It came loose at the front. The rod is fine I'll take a closer look at the control arm and compare it to the pass side. Fingers crossed.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I hope you can get an appointment or figure it out on your own! That's a bummer. By "same thing", did you mean it came loose again after you torqued it down or just that it's still not driving right?

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Still not driving right. I'm fairly confident it's just way out of alignment. I went out and looked real good at both lower control arms and I cannot see any difference between them. Held a straight edge up to them and they both looked the same. I'll have to pull out my " you like powder coating right " card!!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Are the threads stripped? What caused the adjustment nut to all of a sudden get loose?

My guess is the alignment shop adjusted caster by cranking the heck out of the strut rod, putting way too much stress on it. Driving it caused the threads to pop...

I've seen a lot of shops adjust caster this way.. its not the proper way to add 1.5* of caster. Its for fine tuning. 3/4 of a degree max..

Inspect your strut rod closely.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

I would have to put it on a trailer and find a safe place to park the trailer a few blocks away and drive it to the meet, there would be a lot of disappointed people if they dont get to see the car up close and personnel, not to mention a disappointed owner

so how was the test drive?

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

It seems a lot better, found a couple small things that you usually get with a build like mine. So we are going for it, I will leave at about 6:00 am and if all goes well I should be there about 7:30-8:00.
    If there is anyone out here in the Sequim Port Angeles area that wants to cruise over with us drop me a pm and well set up a meeting spot.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Good news indeed

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)