Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer tech days

Summer tech days

I'd like to try and schedule a tech day each month this summer, if posssible. At this point there are three cars we should "go visit" and plan them as soon as we can so we have a good chance of people fitting in a day into their busy schedules to come out and help. The three cars owners are;

Jerry Kirby
    Gene Smith
    Bill Williams

I'd like to determine the order, but need to hear from these three people to know if they are going to be around June/July/August. If not, then we can shift the order around as needed.

Each of these people have requested tech days except for Gene, but Gene deserves one just for him for opening his place up to us so many times, with little being done to his car while we're there.

So speak up folks and let's see if we can make 3 more cars happen. K?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Y'all can come over to my house..

Pick a car and work on one of the four..

The wagon needs the wood slat headliner installed..
    The ranchero needs the new engine installed
    The sprint needs leaf spring bushings and brake work..
    The futura needs exhaust manifold gaskets..

I'm good with any month just let me know...

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Thanks Roger. June would not be good for me. I have to have some serious "tech time" with a couple of doctors to overhaul my cardiovascular system but anytime after June would be absolutely appreciated.

Jerry

Count me in to help on Jerry and Gene's cars. As far as my car July or August works for me however I am on call half the time so the best dates for me would be July 17 or 24 or August 14 or 21. I was hoping to use the lift at Dalton and Bob's shop if possible. I tried to send a message to Dalton but not sure if I did it right.
    Bill Williams

'65 Ford Falcon

I'll help if I'm available. I might have one myself in the fall. I have a spare car now so I plan to pull my drivetrain, put on a new head, clean things up, paint, and patch a few leaks.

I'll holla when I'm ready.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

As some of you may know my dad has a shop designed for basic metal fabrication that he is willing to let the club use during a tech day. The shop is equipped with a hydraulic lift, drill press, cnc plasma table, welders, belt grinders, and most other metal fabrication tools. The shop has a fireplace to keep warm (even in july you never know) and enough room to comfortably work on two cars. I am proposing that on Saturday July 24th we could have a tech day at my place(Near Smokey Point). During the tech day we could work on two club members cars who need some help. This could be an extremely sucessful tech day if we have a large attendance of club members. Depending on the amount of work required and the amount of members available we could at least knock out two or three club members cars. The only issue on some of nondriving cars is transportation. If you can get the car here we can work on it but towing may be a problem.
    1964 Futura: 4-Door Sedan (Bench)
    Paint Color: Wimbledon White
    Engine:170 six(101hp)
    Build Plant: Kansas City, Ks
    DSO: Hawaii
    Build Date:Jul 17, 1964

I can make any day work for my car as far as I know at this time. I am gone quite a bit this time of year, but hope to get my heater box rebuilt RSN (real soon now) so the car could feasibly be road ready after a tech day. At this time, it needs rear lighting hooked up and installed, dash reassembled (not all parts back yet), carpet finished off and seat installed, door panels installed, and side trim installed. I'm actually pretty close to having a "driver" and really looking forward to it!
    Gene

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Well this gives us something to work with. It may be worth it to have Jerry consider a rental of a car hauler and haul the car up to Bob and Dalton's shop and do Bill and Jerry's car all at the same time. I could probably do the tow with the club hauler (for the cost of the gas) if you, Jerry, arrange the trailer.

Considering the distance Jerry's car would need to travel, it would be worthwhile knowing whether there is a staging space where the car could be towed over on a Friday and driven back the day after the tech day. It's about 4 or 5 hours of driving forth and back from my house to Spanaway, then towing a car to and from Spanaway to Smoky Point and then back to my house again all in one day.

I'd be shot before I even started.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks sooo much Dalton for the use of your shop. July 24th works great for me.(Hopefully my car will make it that far). I will bring lunch stuff.Are burgers OK or ?? Maybe we could do Gene's car prior to then? I am excited to see more cars drivable. Gotta luv this club!!
    Bill Williams

'65 Ford Falcon

Summer tech days

I will do my best to be there. Also trying soooooo hard to get mine on the road. I am trying to do without begging for a tech day because there are so many of us that need help. But boy am I wishing I had about 6 guys looking over my shoulder with this electrical and window/windshield work.

Tech Day Philosophy 101

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird
    I am trying to do without begging for a tech day because there are so many of us that need help.

This is not the first time I've heard this (and Larry, this is not directed at you, but at "this way of thinking," which seems to occur far too often), and I hate to come across as harsh, so forgive me if I do. I want this to be taken as an encouragement.

The reason for tech days is to accelerate getting a members car done so that member can then pay it forward and help another member, who will then be able to help others and so on and so on. The logic behind tech days is to get more cars done so more members feel freed up to help others. A huge aspect of the club is to facilitate this.

It's anyone's prerogative to do their own work and not have a bunch of people over to help them, but don't do so at the lack of participation helping others who are asking for it. Some of us can do a lot by ourselves without asking for help, but some of us also make almost every tech day too. Suffice it to say, if you go at it lone ranger, and use that to justify why you can't help other members because you're working on yours (ever so slowly) you don't do yourself or anyone else in the club any favors.

Now obviously, with that said, it does no good to have tech days if, after having had work done on your car, you don't then make an effort to show up to help anyone else. That, though, is not up to any of us to police (we can't force people to help)... though it does discourage other members and eventually people's interests fade. Tech days are supposed to be like bread on the water, or karmic, or whatever thing it is you believe that helping others will do for you.

I also know many feel absolutely worthless at a tech day, and so they feel they are in the way and often don't come for that reason. But hey, there is always something to do that doesn't always take the skills I perhaps have, or someone else has. So you, if you're reading this, you should come to tech days, be a participant of this thing we call a club, and pitch in your skill at cooking burgers, scraping paint (or rust), cleaning greasy parts, learn to turn a wrench - whatever and let's get some cars done.

OK, I'm finished.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"