Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regional BBQ Planning

Regional BBQ Planning UPDATE

I was going to post this in the members section but thought it would get a better audience here.

As you may already know, our club has been invited to the regional in Salem OR. We will be hosting a BBQ for the event. I wanted to get this thread started as the official place to volunteer or contribute and transport gear. Here is a short list of things I think we need:

Gear
    2 x propane grills (three burner Weber or better)
    1 x shelter
    cooking utensils (spatulas, forks, tongs)
    2 x folding tables
    1 x club banner
    2-3 x large coolers

Menu
    hamburgers
    cheese burgers
    hot dogs
    sausages
    corn on the cob? maybe?
    top loin pork ribs (baby back)?
    soft drinks (Coke products)
    bottled water
    condiments (ketchup, mustard, relish, horseradish)

I figured that we could hit a Costco for the food.

Are there any master BBQ chefs out there? Chime in with other ideas that can make this a great BBQ .

UPDATE 7-16-2008

I added a Diagram of how I think the space could be arranged. Your feedback is welcome.

It was mentioned that there may be some picnic tables in the area. This is great for participants to sit while eating but we still need at least two 6' folding tables for the layout in the diagram. Three would be better. We could even use some folding saw horses and a piece of wood cut to size.

UPDATE 7-16-2008 #2

Nathan has commited to bring one large cooler and a 10x10 shelter. Thanks Nathan.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pbrown; July 16th, 2008 at 05:29 PM.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I've got a 6' folding table, and utensils. I have a nice sized BBQ, but it won't fit in my wagon (any trucks going down?). We may have to rent down there otherwise. I also know of two Costco's just off I-5 south of Portland -- one of which I think is pretty close by there. I may also have access to a 10x10 Easyup tent (from work) if they're not going to be out at a show somewhere. And I can flip a burger with the best of them. So that's what I can offer.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Anyone who's not going down in their Falcon and has a truck would be a HUGE help for the BBQ. The Costco website says there's one in Salem so that might be the most convenient.

I emailed John to see if Antique Powerland has any type of shelter for cooking and serving out of the sun. The budget for food at the BBQ is $360 (80 meals at $4.50 each) so we'll have to see what that can buy us.

There's a place in Salem called A to Z Party Rental that has a 2'x3' propane grill for $50 and a 5-gallon propane tank for $15.

Thanks for getting this thread started Pat. I've been busy getting the web pages ready and working on the award plaques.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I just added coolers to the list. We'll need one for drinks and one for meat.

I'm hoping that there are enough wagons heading down to haul gear. I figured that we will need to rent grills.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

So here's some info I just got from John G.

Tables: Antique Powerland may have some picnic tables we can use so we won't have to bring tables.

Shelter: Al Aiello has a pop-up tent he will use for registration in the morning and we can use it later for the BBQ.

Coolers: We can bring some trash bags and just line a cardboard box for ice and pop. We can either bring boxes or Costco usually has them for free.

Grill: The guys from the Columbia River club in Portland/Vancouver may be able to bring a couple.

Al and Ray were going to stop by Antique Powerland on their way back from the Portland swap meet so we may get some more info from them later.

So...do we have a volunteer to get a spreadsheet going on what we need to bring, who's going to bring it, and what will already be there? We should keep it simple but forgetting something like a spatula could be a real hassle.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I'll be trailering the falcon down from Spokane..

it's a wife thing dont ask why..

If I can help any way let me know..

Nathan

Thanks Nathan! The best thing you can do right now is spread the word about the show. Maybe even make a few phone calls and also I can send you some postcards to tuck under window wipers or mail. I will have them made after this weekend.

I think we may have most of the big things taken care of. If you have room in your truck for a large cooler or two, maybe you could bring that. That would make it easier to go shopping to Costco if you would be willing to help transport the food?? Other than that, just come enjoy the show.

Look forward to seeing your Falcon!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

The Columbia River Guys will supply the grill(s) from what I understand from Al Aiello who attend their meeting last week while in Portland for the swap meet.

John Guerini

Bbq

I live close to Powerland
    Its a great venue
    Lots of room even a bandstand/gazebo
    If you have any questions about the area
    Let me know
    Bruce Columbia River Falcons

Kenny,
    I'll bring the largest cooler I can Find...
    Send me any fliers you want me to pass out, and I'll do that..
    I've posted about the regional on tffn and had inquires about it.
    The westcoastfalcons web site seems to be MIA and I no longer have the info..
    The Columbia falcons and comet club has no info either...

Update the websites would help...

Has anyone made arrangements with hotels yet?? I want to try and book a block of rooms somewhere so we can all hang out after hours..

I know the Best Western in Troutdale was nice when I was down there last Nov.. I don't know how far away that is...

I planned to be there Thursday through Monday.. As I want to go to the Dearborn show as well..

Nathan

Hey Nathan,

Ray Johnson (the Pacific Region Director), Al Aiello (prez of the Sonoma County Falcons) and John Guerini (the main event coordinator extraordinaire) are working with the Red Lion to iron out a contract on a block of rooms and should know something very soon. These guys all have many, many Falcon shows under their wings and they're doing a great job with all of the details.

The West Coast Falcons site may be down until the end of the month so we will be hosting it on this site. There may be some minor changes to the website as it is now but you can view it at

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/08regional.html

Thanks for getting the word out in Eastern WA and tffn! Getting one person at a time to committed to participating in the event will make a big difference.

I'm really looking forward to the road trip!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

I have 4 people wanting to know more, but I don't have the deatils that they are looking for..

I'll shout it out to anyone that wants to listen when the details are ironed out..

I hope Ray Johnson brings his 63 wagon.. Maybe I can talk the wife into buying it.. long story there, but we were planning to purchase his wagon till I got T-boned my some kid..

Let me know if I can help any further.. Do you still have my mail address? or were the flyers going to be something I can print up and hand out??

Nathan

You can go ahead and give people the link to the website. It has all the info and I think the Red Lion is a go for the hotel. The info is on the registration form.

If your address is the one on Rockwell I have it. Otherwise send it in a PM. I should be putting the postcard together this weekend. I can send you the artwork in a PDF. That would probably be easiest.

Also to Bruce..Welcome! From what I've heard Powerland should be a nice place for a show and I'm glad you confirm. I'm assuming we'll be parking on grass which is always a big plus for me. Plus it's usually a few degrees cooler.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

I've got a really nice mini-fridge (uses ICE) that I'll bring down as well. Hold a lot. I can't really haul a lot of weight in the wagon, but with the seat down I can hold about as much as a 65 Ranchero.

I've got Excel, but don't use it much, so don't know how good I'd be at putting a spreadsheet together. If people send me what they have already, I'm sure in about 5 minutes I can figure it out. Is there anyone else who would need it, or if I supplied it, could it be posted here on the site somehow? I think it would be just as easy to create a regional support web page with a table in it with tasks/needs and enter the names/clubs of those who said they will supply. What about doing it that way so anyone can look at the page and see the need and volunteer?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"