Thread: 64 falcon 6 cyl disc brake conversion

64 falcon 6 cyl disc brake conversion

I was wondering what additional parts I need to purchase to install the dearborn classics disc brake conversion. I have already purchased the conversion kit but do I have to buy a master cylinder or brake booster or both? what about a proportioning valve.

You need a new dual circuit master for a disk/drum car. Go to your favorite parts store and ask for a master cylinder for a 67 Mustang with front disk brakes. It will bolt right into your Falcon.

You don't need a booster. It can be added later if you decide you want a lighter pedal feel. There are not many masters that will fit the Falcon.

You should have a proportioning valve and a metering valve. These are usually contained as single unit called a combination valve. You can find one at a wrecking yard from almost any late 60s through 70s car with front disk brakes. It is the large piece of brass with all the tubing attached. You can also buy a new one from Master Power brakes (www.mpbrakes.com).
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

If you are going with manual brakes I would suggest a master cylinder from a front manual disc equiped early 70's maverick/ comet. The maverick master cylinder has a smaller bore diameter than the 67' mustang unit. This will yield greater pressure at the slave cylinders with the same pressure applied at the pedal. Please give Todd a call or at least check out his site at http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/. I would not suggest using just any combination valve as each is designed for specific bore diameters at all four wheels. To achieve proper brake bias and pedal effort/travel, the system must be built with the proper valving, pedal ratio, and bore diameters. Perhaps you already know this, And I don't intend to make any false assumptions about your mechanical knowledge, but if anyone reading this should benefit from my having learned the hard way than well.., I'm just trying to be responsible with the advise I give where brakes are concerned.

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback