Thread: Pinetop Arizona Ride to the Pines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pinetop Arizona Ride to the Pines

Here are a few pics from the Ride to the Pines parade of 15 miles from Show Low to Pine Top Arizona on Friday and the Car show Saturday and Sunday. There were 575 cars and it was the best car show we've attended. The first pics are us getting ready for the parade. The next ones are of my brothers 64 Fairlane and my car. Then we won the trophy and $100 for gas for coming the farthest distance of 1470 miles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Congrats!! Looks like a fun time.
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

Leadfoot Larry

Yaaaaaay, Larry!

Hats off to Larry, by Del Shannon
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WKxXFHXK4M
    Last edited by ew1usnr; September 25th, 2017 at 04:16 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Let me add my kudos!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Very nice! Congratulations!
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Looks like a nice show from here too! Congrats on the big award!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks everyone. This was a wonderful show, live music, great food, lots and lots of cars. As with every car show their are political issues that seem to get in the way.
    In this specific show, they had two car clubs that attended with numerous cars from each club. One from Albuquerque New Mexico and another from Gilbert Arizona. There were 24 different classifications and these clubs put one car in each of the classes and then they all voted for only their club cars.
    The car that won 1st place in my class was a 61 Chevy that was a wreck, never opened the hood, rusted wheels, broken passenger glass. 2nd place was a 65 Mustang which was even worse.
    As we all know, there will always be issues, but we have no control of those and regardless of the politics, this car show was great.
    There really is not an equitable way to assure that prejudices don't get involved in car voting. There was some complaints from the car owners and my brother took me around to most of the classes and pointed out all the winners linked to their home towns and car clubs.
    With that many cars, it is hard to have a voting method other than car participants, sooooo. It is what it is. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Well, Carol and I got back home to Washington Monday evening. Only spent 4 hours in the worlds largest parking lot on I-5. Took longer to go from south 188th to our house in Mill Creek than it did from Portland to 188th. Did not get above 30 miles an hour in that distance.
    Still had shorts on until yesterday, when I gave up and switched to jeans. Only wore jeans one day in Arizona and that was to drag race where they required long pants.
    Hard to leave the sun, but nice to be back home.
    While there, I had an extra rear trim piece that I was going to have Royal Plating chrome for me. They recommended polishing it instead so it wouldn't look too weird next to the tail light housings. They did a beautiful job and now I need to either paint the black areas or use tape. Then they recommended clear coating the part. I will post pictures when done or installed.
    What I really miss is you can go to car shows every single weekend. Usually more than one show each weekend, drag racing every weekend. Both in Tucson and Phoenix. It is definitely a car lovers location.
    Hope we can get a group of us to the drag strip together this year and to more car shows and cruises. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Sounds like you had fun - until you got home.

What's more telling is that due to the short outdoor season we find ourselves with to-do lists and before you realize it the car-show season is over and you realized you did only one show. Heck, I think I drove my Ranchero all of twice this year. And not much with Frederica either

I agree that I hope we can get together more as a group in the coming year, but if the weather isn't too bad we could shoot for the XXX Christmas Cruise and still get a show in this year. We'll see how that goes.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"