Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

What??...Just catching up here...Larry possibly going round body?
    I can only imagine how amazing that creation could be.
    Ill try to keep my eye out.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Gene reminded me today (uh, yesterday...) I neglected to indicate whether I resolved the carburetor issue of not. I'm happy to say, after a week of sitting, it fired right up. That's never happened. Still have to give it a shake down run, but since I did the Shelby drop - and upgraded to Mustang shocks and shock tower caps - I only have a couple inches of travel and I recently read they make shorter shock to account for this. Wish I know'd earlier. Investigating that this week. Otherwise, it all back as one again.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

When Shelby lowered the control arms he found that it put more stress on the ball joint. I lowered my control arms and installed a negative wedge between the ball joint and the control arm on my 67 Mustang. I never had any problems with the ball joints in the years after installing. The car showed no over steer after that .I checked NPD where I got them from and see they don't list them any more.If you can find them ,they are a great upgrade to your front end.

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Gene reminded me today (uh, yesterday...) I neglected to indicate whether I resolved the carburetor issue of not. I'm happy to say, after a week of sitting, it fired right up. That's never happened. Still have to give it a shake down run, but since I did the Shelby drop - and upgraded to Mustang shocks and shock tower caps - I only have a couple inches of travel and I recently read they make shorter shock to account for this. Wish I know'd earlier. Investigating that this week. Otherwise, it all back as one again.
    Let us know what you find on shorter shocks. I'm in the same boat.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Let us know what you find on shorter shocks. I'm in the same boat.
    Have been a bit distracted, so have not looked very hard. I'll certainly indicate what I find, but lacking them I'm already planning to make some stand-off's and get some longer bolts to raise the upper shock support, since it is the Mustang style. The Falcon upper shock mount would be much harder to extend.

I did read about the wedge "potential" and that the problem was worse on some drops that went further than the 1" typical with the Falcon (what I did). I meant to look at the angles of the upper ball joint after it was on the ground and just haven't yet. I know I have the remove the rebound bumper as well, so I'll have a look before I jack it up to do that.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

It was like reading War and Peace so I managed to only skim through the 52 pages and might have missed something.
    Some really great solutions to the many problems and some clever ideas here.

I have a 62 Ranchero that i'm working on and finding a lot of the same problems. I had to do way more cutting for the T5 than others say they did. I hate hydraulics with a passion so since my modified Maverick Hooker headers preclude use of the normal clutch linkage i'm using a cable. Easier to think about than to do. Had to cut two tubes off the headers and move them and then the length of the cable from firewall to pedal is too long and needs something 3" long to space it out and allow adjustment. Still working on that.

I also want to have a hard tonneau cover, perhaps one that folds in half. Maybe i can modify one meant for some other pickup. Not sure how that fits in the area below the back window.

Then there is the bed access panel that i'd like to make hinges and latches for to open easily to access the battery which is mounted there. Seems to be no way to keep that area dry and an opening panel will only make that more futile.
    I used to have a 67 Ranchero and they have the area under the front of the bed accessible from the interior like you did.

Hinges and latches that don't space the panel up higher are something i could use ideas for. I know i've seen many Rancheros with the panel hinged but didn't take good pictures of the way that was done.

Well, I suppose now that it's done I could probably reduce the thread down to 50 pages by removing superfluous posts from it. LOL.

The battery being back there would also preclude you from wanting to open the area to the cabin - though I know old Volkwagons had their battery under the back seat and off-gassing battery juices didn't kill off those owners... or did they? Anyway, the Ford design was an afterthought from using the wagon floor pan. They left it open and punched holes in the floor to let water drain, but it doesn't take much to make holes in floors stop draining. Surface tension with water is the main problem. The tonneau cover would help, but as you indicated the recess behind the window is a hard issue to address.

I'm not so much a fan of hydraulics either - certainly not a fan of what they want to charge for them! $500 was just out of my (logic) budget. My setup took more time, but cost $50 in parts. And I enjoyed the engineering part of it. I have Doug's headers and there was no easy way to run a cable. Other than hacking $600 headers.

Feel free to host a thread here on yours and we'll do the best we can to rack up a few pages of comments, and advice, on it too!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"