Thread: Freeze plug locales?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Freeze plug locales?

Just got the 170 in the wagon running after fifteen years. Bad rocker valve adjuster, gonna tap, thread, and Allen plug in place like old drag FE's used to do.

But, with pressure, two of the large core plugs (three on passenger side of block) started protesting in retirement. Swapped. Replaced all three. And sure you know it, I bolt exhaust and manifold and accessories back up a new core plug I didn't see started cryin down on the starter. About 3/4"? and underneath cast manifold on head above number five? How many more are there? The factory manual says nothing about them. Chiltons ditto. I'm on guesswork here. Any body out there know what I'm in for?

Thanks!!

A 170 should just have 3 freeze plugs on the passenger side of the block. The early 200s had 3 plugs but when they went from 4 to 7 main bearings in `65 they went to 5 plugs. All along the same side of the block. There might be two more at the end of the block where the tranny mounts.

Here's a shot of where they are on my `68 200 block. I left them bronze.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

And the head too! I believe there are 4 on the passenger side. One between each of the exhaust ports.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Exclamation

Nice pic! Anyone have an idea of the head plug size?
    The car is in Ocean Park, and I make trips on various weekends to work on it. Thus I am buying things for each trip. The "freeze plug kit" from O'Reilly's was awfull. All wrong sizes.