Thread: Spooky Ride

Spooky Ride

I cannot get over how great the mini-meet was at Griots and everyone did a fantastic job. Now to the point of my post. My car ran beautiful going to the show, but I am concerned with the steering of the car.

I am not sure why or what is causing this so help would be appreciated.

The car wanders in the lane and does not want to stay in a straight path. It is really a little scary to take my eyes of the road or relax at all. I can't take either hand off the wheel for fear of it moving into another lane.

I talked to a very nice fellow at the show who mentioned I might need a proportioning valve in the steering to "kind of tighten" the power rack???

Not sure what that is or if it will help, but anyone with ideas?

Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    I talked to a very nice fellow at the show who mentioned I might need a proportioning valve in the steering to "kind of tighten" the power rack???

Not sure what that is or if it will help, but anyone with ideas?

Larry
    What he is referring to is a restrictor valve on the output of your power steering pump to reduce the amount of fluid flow which will de-power your power steering. You could also look for a larger pulley for the pump to reduce the RPM.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

What you're describing sounds like it could be a problem with the caster. Are you confident in the alignment? I also had a similar condition far in the past that was caused by mis-matched front/rear tires. However, I currently have that condition with my tires and it drives fine.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Spooky Ride

Thanks for the info Pat and Gene I thought the alignment might be an issue so took it in to Les Schwab that originally aligned it and they checked it out again and said it was good. I have the same size tires on the front and back.

I am not sure that this condition is caused by the rack being to touchy. I am going to figure it out because I want to take it to the drag strip next season and it's too touchy to go over a 100 mph.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Have them add more caster.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Larry I'm fixing the same issue with the delivery right now. Look at your rack and see if the tie rods that go from the rack to the steering knuckle and see if they are level. Mine angle upwards and is causing a bad bump steer issue.
    Also when you put your rack in did you loose some of your turning radius? I did a lot on mine. After hours of internet searching I found a kit sold by mustangs plus that is specifically for lowered mustangs and falcons. It relocates the tie rod down one inch, forward one inch and in 1/4 of an inch. Effectivally it makes the tie rod level with the rack and steering arm eliminating the bump steer, by going forward one inch it gives you a quicker steering ratio and brings your turning radius back to normal, and the 1/4 inch inward corrects your caster curve which causes irregular handling.
    My kit should be here Friday I hope and I'll let you know if it solves my issues but everything hits my problems right on the button.
    This is mine now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

This is what it looks like installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Spooky Ride

Let me know how it works. Thanks Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura