I'm back on the board guys. Hope all is well. I won't be able to attend but tomorrow is the father's day show again put on by the Rooks.

I have finally gotten back to troubleshooting a long standing problem with Lady Bird today. The short of it is that she won't start. Here's the long of it...

What I know:
The starter is good
The solenoid is new
Lady Bird is an automatic

What she does:
Turn the key to the start position, hear the "clunk" of the solenoid and then all power in the car disappears. I have to disconnect the batter to release whatever is causing the short to get power back.

Testing I've done:
If I boot strap the starter straight to the battery she spins fine. If I disconnect the starter from the solenoid and turn the key, I get juice to the starter pole on the solenoid and power does not drop.

Something seems to short out under the load of the starter's electrical pull but I can' sort out what it is. Doesn't seem there are that many things to check. If it just didn't turn over I'd be looking to blame the neutral switch but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

I've tested two solenoids, had the starter bench tested, spun it in the car with the direct hook up. I've got a new regulator. I've disconnected the coil to make sure it wasn't shorting out. Nothing seems to help.

I'd really appreciate some hot tips on this.

Oh, its a straight 6 200 from a 1966 Mustang.

Quick, before I'm bald from pulling out my hair!!

Coupe
206-383-8704