Thread: Fender Rollers

Fender Rollers

I will have need for a fender roller to increase the fender clearance on my '65. When Roger came by this Sunday among other things we noticed there was not enough tire clearance using the wheels and tires I want to use on my Futura project. I have a couple of questions regarding this/ #1 Does anyone in the club have a fender roller they would loan out? #2. If not has or will anyone ever have a use for one? #3 Does the one in the Eastwood catalog, part #31158 look like a decent tool? I might be wiling to buy the one in the Eastwood cat if someone other than myself would ever have a use for it. I hate to make the investment however if it would be a one shot deal. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Jerry K.
    '65 Futura

I've heard rolling a wooden baseball bat between the tire and inside of the fender rim works good but have never tried it.

I've seen that Eastwood tool before and it looks like it should work. I just hate buying tools with only one purpose unless there's just no substitute.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Jerry,

I did a little search last night on utube and there is a lot of people showing how this is used. And there was a guy with a pipe (AKA - A bat) doing it in Japan. The results were questionable, but it was a nifty video to watch.

If you want professional results -- get the right tool. There's far more money in your paint job than you'd want to risk. Just my opinion. I know 3 people who would rent yours right now (me included).

There was a place on-line renting them too -- for $275 deposit and like $75 for 2-weeks rental... that if you are one day late returning it they charge you full retail price for it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger,

I looked at the same video. That japanese kid really got excited, didn't he. I also checked to see if there was anyone around locally that did that sort of thing. There are a couple of places, but they want $40 a wheel plus a service charge. There also was a place that offered one for rent, but it was almost as much to buy one. So I just bought one from Eastwood. They had a 12% off sale. I got it for $219. And of course I will need someone to come over and screw the job up with me when I get it. Any volunteers?

Jerry

If you're doing this after the final paint job, I would be very careful and do it in a heated garage or wait until warm weather. It would be much better to do before painting I would think.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Why not just take the snips and make them round then funny car slicks would even clear,,, just kidding, can't you get the right offset and a tire that looks good and will fit? john h

The instructions recommend using a heat gun and warming up the fender lip/paint before you try and fold it over. That'll get it far warmer than the time of year you do it as as well.

I was one of those guys who, when younger (17), went to the local welding shop and had them hack the radius of my 62 Falcon to match my wheels. I actually do like that look, but if I had to do it again I'm be a bit more professional about it.

I think Jerry will have enough clearance after this is done, but if it doesn't clear under hard turns, well... he'll have to then go to step two, which may include different tires or rims.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"