Thread: Seatbelt Improvement

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Seatbelt Improvement

My Falcon did not have seatbelts when I bought it and one of the first things I did was to add lap-belts plus a shoulder harness set-up:
    3-DCP_4900.jpg

But, the bench seat folds forward and did not have any locking mechanism. That sort of limited the usefulness of the shoulder restraints.

I bought two “3M Black Nylon Cargo Tie down Luggage Lash Belt Strap with Metal Cam Buckle” off e-bay for $3.21 each with free postage from ShenZhen, China. “Tie down straps with metal cam buckle. 100% brand new and high quality. Quick automatic release. Material: Nylon, metal. Size: 2.5 cm x 300 cm = one-inch wide, ten feet long. Color: Black. Working load 268 lbs, breaking capacity 550 lbs. How to use: Wrap the strap around the load and push though the cam buckle, pull tight. The grip teeth on the buckle stop the strap from loosening.”
    Cargo Tie Down.jpg

I also ordered two RRP100 steel seat belt anchors for $4.49 each off e-bay from Race Ready Parts in Orlando. $8.98+$.58 tax+$6.55 postage = $16.11.
    Seatbelt anchors.jpg

I threaded the cargo strap through the floor anchor, wrapped it around the seat hinge and then through the cam buckle. It works! The seatback is held in place and will not move. I left enough slack on the strap so that if I want access to the back seat I just press the cam release button and I can fold the seat forward. When I want to lock it back, I just press the cam button and pull the strap back tight.
    1-DCP_4898.jpg

2-DCP_4899.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; January 25th, 2014 at 05:02 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)