Thread: 67-70 V-8 motor mounts in a 62 Falcon

67-70 V-8 motor mounts in a 62 Falcon

I have a 62 falcon 2-door wagon. The motor is a 289ci and the trans is a C-4. I have a trans cross member from Falcon Enterprises.

The previous trans was a ford-o-matic. When I pulled the motor and trans the motor mounts in service were later style mustang two piece, the uppers being vulcanized rubber over steel made to work with a thru bolt.

The bell housing on the c-4, which is a small 6 bolt 157 tooth style, contacts the tunnel before the motor and trans are in deep enough to allow the motor mounts to line up.

I could spend the money for the cast three piece style early mounts, but I am still wondering why these mounts won't work as its the same mounts and motor that were in it when purchased?

Please advise. I've been tempted to perform tunnel surgery

If you don't get a clear answer here, you could try over at www.tffn.net in the v8 section. The entire site is dedicated to Falcons and there's lots of good info there.
    Jonathon Hass
    Stanwood, WA.
    '68 Falcon Sports Coupe

Thanks for the link 68FalconSC. I sifted through the forums and, while not getting a definitive answer I noted many suggested that the trans tunnel on 62 1/2 and earlier were believed to be smaller. I decided to buy the Ron Morris performance adjustable motor mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    Thanks for the link 68FalconSC. I sifted through the forums and, while not getting a definitive answer I noted many suggested that the trans tunnel on 62 1/2 and earlier were believed to be smaller. I decided to buy the Ron Morris performance adjustable motor mounts.
    No problem Jon. There's lots of good info both there AND here, good people too. Jon
    Jonathon Hass
    Stanwood, WA.
    '68 Falcon Sports Coupe

The early 62 tunnel was smaller and had fit issues with the V8 bell. You can dimple it in the few spots to get more space. Just mark or make a mental note of where it touches and hit it with a 2 lbs hammer.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Thanks pbrown. I already purchased the adjustable mounts but massaging the tunnel a bit is still a good idea. I figure i'll mount the motor as far back as practical for water pump to radiator clearance.