Thread: "Grill" Advice

"Grill" Advice

My 61 grill is pretty bent up. I ran across a lead on what is described as a really good used (ie not bent where it should not be bent) 61 grill at a great price and plan to go take a look at it on Sunday... I was hoping it would be good enough to use as is with no restoration-or at least if I do end up restoring it, it starts out in the right shape. I noticed some of you have had issues with grill restoration. Any advice from you guys on these grills before I go take a look is most appreciated!

"Grill" Advice

The grill on my 64 was in not very good shape. I had no idea how to fix it, but bought a book on re-doing aluminum and stainless trim. It showed how to tap out small dents with different sized punches using a whole lot of patience.
    They can be straightened, but it takes a lot of time. Then to refinish it, I removed all of the anodizing with oven cleaner, (the old type). Sanded all the aluminum with lots of stages of grits to get it finally at 3000 grit, then polished it. Tried all kinds of different methods to simulate the bright dip anodizing finish with nothing that I liked. The cost of re-anodizing the grill was way too expensive for me, so had it chrome plated at less than 1/4th the cost of anodizing.
    Didn't need to sand and polish as much as I did since it was later chromed, but didn't know at that time I was going the direction I did.
    Hope it's in great shape for you. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I just powder coated mine black. I went for the blacked out look. Ill post a pic when I get it installed.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Went down to Longview & bought the grill...it was really straight and clean-a little more cleanup needed & i think thatscabout it. Thanks for the advice.
    Also came back with a hood, and a few other things.
    Look forward to seeing your black grill Steve.