Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V8 versus 6 cylinder spindle stops

V8 versus 6 cylinder spindle stops

When bolting on the suspension today and mounting the strut rods - I see the V8 spindles don't hit the spindle stops in the right place. I'm using the same stops that were on the 6-cylinder suspension, but didn't think to get - or look at - the V8 version. Didn't think.

Maybe somebody with a stock V8 suspension can take a picture of what these look like? I'll have to try and find a pair somewhere once I know what to get. If you have a pair, let me know.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Mine are so caked with crud that I'm not sure they're recognizable, but take a look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Thanks Gene. Yes, it is very cruddy. You should have someone work on that for you. I have a friend who has done a great job on mine...

I can't really tell much from the pictures though, other than something appears to stand pretty tall and proud from where it bolts to the strut. Here's a picture of mine. The yellow/red line is the area the stop should hit. The arrow shows the path it currently takes and the contact points.

I may be OK with these parts, but I won't know for sure until I have wheels and tires on to see how much turning the wheel causes a conflict.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Yep, mine does appear to be taller than what I can discern in your pic. Sorry for the quality of my pics. I was too lazy to take the wheel off for a better pic, but will if you'd like me to. Once I get it off the dollies, I'll roll it out to the driveway area and use the pressure washer on it. I'd probably increase the fuel economy just from weight loss alone.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I have a v8 front clip I cut off a rust bucket with all the suspention. I'll look tomarrow night and make shure those are on it. If they are you can have them and any other pieces you might need off of it if that'll help.

Quote Originally Posted by modified17 View Post
    I have a v8 front clip I cut off a rust bucket with all the suspention. I'll look tomarrow night and make shure those are on it. If they are you can have them and any other pieces you might need off of it if that'll help.
    That would be awesome! Hopefully they bolt onto the strut and are not a part of the strut. But let me know what you find out! I have the entire front end assembled now, so I don't think there are any other unknowns up front.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Well the stops are part of the strut rods on this clip so I checked under my hardtop and its one piece to. So maybe all hardtops are one piece. I don't know if cutting the end off of these struts and adding them to the top of your's would work or not.

Chances are the 8 cylinder cars were one-piece. And no, you don't want to cut the end off, I'm sure of that.

If it's not too hard to pull them off (they can be a bear at times), I'd love to take them off your hands. I'd be willing to do it as well, if you want me to. Just say the word. If you do pull them... be sure to leave the end bolted to the lower control arm (two bolts per side) until you get the nut at the end of the strut removed first.

Thanks again for looking at it for me!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"