Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird Problem - Is it fuel or electric?

Further refinements.

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    With the resistor wire connected in parallel to the coil, it is still drawing a certain amount of current (load). Even though it is a small amount of current, you might want to consider leaving the resistor wire "hanging in the wind" to keep the load on the generator minimized. Gene
    Hello, Gene.

The separate resistor wire has been removed from the circuit.

I had initially hooked this up to 12 volts using some thin wire that I had. Then I downloaded and read the instructions for a "PerTronix Ignitor 1281" (See: http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instru...heets/1281.pdf ) and they said to "Bypass the resistance wire with a 12-gauge copper stranded wire." That was a lot heavier than what I was using so I bought and installed the correct heavier gauge wire tonight.

I looked in several auto-parts stores and couldn't find any 12-gauge male bullet connectors so I soldered the new heavier wire to the original resistor wire connector. I ordered some 12-gauge connectors off e-bay and if they fit the female coupling then I will discard the smaller gauge wire extension and plug the 12-gauge directly to the ignition switch.

1-DCP_0131.jpg

The PerTronix leads coming out of the distributor cap were too long and I trimmed them to more appropriate lengths. I ran the 12-gauge wire ( the thicker red one) to the positive terminal on my 12 volt PerTronix Flame-Thrower coil (40,000 volt output). I re-checked the voltage and I am getting the correct full 12 volts at that terminal (up from 7 volts off the resistor wire). That is also where the red lead for the Ignitor unit connects so it is also now getting a correct full 12 volts. The small green wire coming off the negative coil terminal goes to my tachometer.

2-DCP_0132.jpg

It has been raining for the past couple of days and I have not driven the car. Tomorrow and the day after, though, are going to be clear (20% chance of rain). This is the first time since I have had my car that the electronic ignition and high-voltage coil will be functioning as they are supposed to. When I drive the car to work tomorrow I will pay attention to how it starts, idles, and accelerates, and watch and see if the gas mileage improves.

I now have 40,000 volts arcing through my eight spark plugs! Wow! My Falcon will go airborne!

Jumping Falcon - Cropped (3).jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; June 2nd, 2015 at 07:46 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)