View Poll Results: Should I return the 63 back to a true sprint?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Replace futura letters with falcon letters (already have)

5 100.00%
  • Leave the futura letters

0 0%

Thread: Bringing home my 63 sprint

Bringing home my 63 sprint

Hello Guys,

Well we got the new falcon home.
    The car is alot wetter than we were lead to believe.. we gutted the interior after we got her home to find rotted floors. so it looks like I get to do both front pans and toe boards.. yea!!!!!
    The interior is sitting in my basement drying out. hopefully I'll be able to salvage some of it.. right now it looks like the door panels and rear seat will have to be replaced.. the carpet is already in the trash..

Plans are to repair floors and redo the interior.. body work will consist of restoring it so it will except good paint.. we are going with silver moss.

I'll post pictures..

the cool thing is we located a previous owner. She bought the car in 1982 and it had all the sprint stuff on it when she bought it. she referred to it as a sprint the whole time during our conversation. We were also able to verify that the car has had the rear panel replaced along with a quarter panel.
    The car came with the hub caps in a box wrapped in news paper.. this owner is the person who took them off the car becasue she was worried about loosing them.. the fact that the box is still with the car is impressive..

So we are a little disappointed with the condition of the car as its not what we were expecting, we will now have more into it than we counted on, but it should be nice when we are done.

Nathan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Bringing home my 63 sprint

Nathan, you answered your own poll with the name of your thread. It is a sprint so you should restore it to that condition. It is a beautiful car already and can't wait to see it finished. It's only time and money. Have fun. Larry

It least it looks like you will have some good help on it. Be sure he doesn't over-tighten that screw. Enjoy!

yep Kade is my little helper, not even three yet and he has some understanding of what he's doing..
    You have to be a little patient as he "wants to do it" and gets mad when he needs help..

It will be a fun project although more of a project than I truelly wanted..
    i was hoping paint and body work and little things to get "dollora" running again and we'd have a nice hardtop.

I'm hoping to have the engine running tomorrow and we'll find out just what else she needs.. I think there will be a fordomatic rebuild in the future..

Anyone know what rotation a 260 oil pump spins? or which direction the rotor spins? cloclwise or counter?

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Yeah!!!!

After a week of tinkering here and there I got the sprint Running tonight (friday 2/12)

Performed a major tune-up.. plugs, wires, cap, rotor, New distributor, rebuilt the carburetor, and changed the fluids. oh and installed an electric fuel pump.

I primed the carburetor gave it a few squirts and she fired right up and purred..

I have a carb issue as if I try to give it throttle it stalls.. sounds like a vacuum and it dies..

The generator isn't charging, the gen light went out for a second and came back on.. plus the generator makes a little noise when I give it some throttle..
    So it looks like a generator rebuild and a voltage regulator are needed..
    The Fordomatic tranny likes to whine in park or netural?? checked the fluid and topped it off.. checked the vacuum module.. hoping for an easy fix..

nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Wow where does the time go?

Here it is many moons later..

Well, I got the floors replaced welded back in, seam sealed, and por15ed..

The interior is reinstalled with new carpet, I was able to salvage everything else. It looks good but the foam is toast.. you deffinately sit in these buckets and not on them.

My tranny whine wasn't the tranny.. I have a small rust hole in the exhaust where it bends over the rear axle.. my car plays the flute..

The tranny shifts fine after replacing the vacuum module and repairing the kinked vacuum line from the intake.. Replaced the pan gasket and even had a tranny shop look at it.. alls good..

No signs of the leaky front pump seal like the seller stated..hmmm

Had multiple carb issues which I believe I have straightened out.. with the second carb kit and 1 millionth tear down clean and reassmble..

had to replace the gas tank.. not what we were expecting to have to do..

The car has been out on the road and has about an hour and a half road time on it..

Drives straight and is a joy to drive.. needs some brake work as it pulls every once in a while..

and yeah needs leaf spring bushings something bad.. they are like non existing..

wheels and tires that fit would be nice, but now I'm just complaining..

reverse lights quit working again.
    found out the speedo doesnt work and I still havent fixed the horns..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Your list is getting long...
    Not to add to the pile of to-do's but...Does the cig lighter work? Every car I've bought without a working lighter has been a pain with never ending problems. Serious!

Kinda...

Beautiful car!

Cig lighter works..

I've have an issue with the neutral safety switch..
    When the car is running and I put it into park it will engage the starter.
    I took the switch out and cleaned the contacts and filed the bolt holes to get more adjustment.
    I got the starter issue fixed but now the reverse lights dont work..
    I'm almost certain that its an issue with the column and not the switch, but I ordered a new switch anyways.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

The reverse lights were working until I took it apart again.

Got the speedo fixed.. cable was broken..

I have new wheels on the way just need tires..

Still have to figure out the brakes and go through the suspension.

I now have three hours of drive time on it.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper