Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Carpet

Question Replacing Carpet

I'm ready to install new carpet with a noise reducing insulation on the floor. I would appreciate any insight on the best process. Do I glue down the insulation? Do I glue the carpet to the insulation. How does the carpet stay held down?

Thanks for your help,

Jim

Pull the seats and old carpet and lay down some Dynomat Extreme sound deadening mat. Clean the sheet metal and check for rust while you're in there.

The new carpet will have jute padding already glued to the back and it just lays in the car. Gravity will hold it down.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Definitely put down the sound deadening material. It makes a huge difference with the road noise. Before you put that down, if you have any surface rust areas you may want to coat them with some POR-15.

I don't know if it was necessary but I sprayed a light coat of 3M Spray Adhesive down before laying the carpet. Just spray it on the floor surface and not the carpet back, let it tack up for a few minutes and the bond won't be permanent if you ever need to lift the carpet.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Jim,

Of course there is carpet and then there is carpet. If the carpet is premolded it almost always has the jute backing glued to it and fits like a glove. If you are laying your own, well that's a different story. What have you decided on? Premolded is the way to go since it will be pretty seamless.

All the suggestions of cleaning and sound deadening material is good, though plan to pay out the nose for Dynamat. You can get a similar material from someplace like Wesco or a good Napa with a paint store inside (like at 128th and Aurora in North Lynnwood/South Everett. But that's still about $30 for about 6 1' square pieces. I think in my wagon I have about $300 worth of Dynamat.

Though I can't always find it, I have found once a material very close (if not exactly the same) in the hardware store that is ice dam material used on house roofing projects. Dynamat (like mine) is a tar-based tile with adhesive back. Shouldn't really cost more than a buck a sheet to make, but that's never why things cost what they do. The principle is to deaden the panels, which in reality full coverage isn't really needed, though most everyone does it anyway.

There really isn't any need to glue carpet down. The seats, the sill plates, and the kick panels do a lot of that and as Pat said gravity.

Be sure to post some pictures too!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I bought some FatMat that's very similar to DynaMat. $129 for 100 sq. ft. I still have enough to do the trunk someday. Got it on eBay for a little less but you can also get it from their website:

http://www.fatmat.com/bulk/fatmat/100.html

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

That's a pretty good price. Too bad. I don't need any anymore... now.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"