Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's happening???

spaldingracing Guest
    Well After I Parked My 60 Falcon In A Barn 18 Years Ago.... I Am Blowing Off The Dust, And Getting The Little Bird Out.
    So Far I Have Done:
    1. New Fuel Tank And Sender
    2. Fuel Pump
    3. Carb Kit
    4. Heater Core
    5. Heater Seals And Defrost Tubes
    6. Installed Pertronix Pick-up And Msd Box (still Need To Remove The Resistance Wire From System)

7. Custom Autosound Dash Speakers
    8. Converted To Alternator (cheated And Did It The Simple Way, Ford Alternator, Chrystler Regulator...probably The Easiest Way To Go...just Not All Ford Parts)

And My To Do List:
    1. Replace Bent Pushrods, And Bad Rockers (anyone Have Them Laying Around?)

2. Install Stereo
    3. Install Aftermarket Oil Pressure Guage
    4. Lower Front End Approx 2" (anyone Try Cutting Coils?..the Right Way...no Heat)

5. Install New Front Seat Upholstery (got A Deal On Ebay For The Front Only....still Need Rear Seat)
    6. Install Headlliner (probably Next Winter)
    7. Add Seat Belts

Sound's like a great project! It's always fun to drag a car out of the dark and get it running again. I've revived a few mothballed cars in my time, and there's nothing like firing it up and going down the street for the first time. My current ride was a driver when I got it, but here's another project collecting dust while waiting for attention http://www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman/447845459/ Be sure and take lots of before and after photos to show us your progress!
    Last edited by Sedanman; May 27th, 2007 at 07:06 PM.
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

What are people doing?

I have been slowly building a rotisserie to barbaque my bird. Thanks to Kenny for scrap metal for the center link and Larry for the upper half of his rotisserie I have fabricated a rotisserie that I think will work out well.

I have a few final alienments to make and the pull the motor and drive train and roast the bird!

I will try from time to time to snap some shots of the progress as I can. It wont be a fast process but it is going forward! Here is a snap shot of the base unit on rollers. Al
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey,

That looks great Al! I'm glad that metal could go to good use. That should really make working on the car so much nicer than crawling underneath to scrape 40+ years of road grime and undercoating. Plus you can always get some of your money back by selling it when the projects done.

Keep us updated...

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Thor
    OH, but what a great one just to have!! Even if it takes a life time you have it! They are getting hard and expensive to find!! Al

Hey Al,

Looks like you're starting to get serious with your restoration! Let me know if you need to borrow my engine hoist when the time comes. The car in my photo is actually my dad's car - he bought it new but it's more or less been off the road since '79. Fastbacks are getting hard to find - actually rarer than convertibles, and all those continuation Shelbys being built doesen't help the availability factor! But since this isn't a Mustang forum I won't go on about it
    Last edited by Sedanman; May 27th, 2007 at 07:12 PM.
    Thor Johnson
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

Quote Originally Posted by spaldingracing View Post
    And My To Do List:

Lower Front End Approx 2" (anyone Try Cutting Coils?..the Right Way...no Heat)
    I've used a cutting wheel on a drill motor - not exactly the fastest route but it's better for the springs than a torch. On original coils (six cylinder) I've found that cutting one coil lowers the car about 2 inches. I'm using v-8 coils on my six cyl. car so the formula is not as exact, nor will it be with brand new coils. I suggest cutting 1/2 coil at a time and checking, even though it's a pain to pull coils in and out several times.
    Thor Johnson
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sedanman View Post
    Hey Al,

Looks like you're starting to get serious with your restoration! Let me know if you need to borrow my engine hoist when the time comes. The car in my photo is actually my dad's car - he bought it new but it's more or less been off the road since '79. Fastbacks are getting hard to find - actually rarer than convertibles, and all those continuation Shelbys being built doesen't help the availability factor! But since this isn't a Mustang forum I won't go on about it
    Thanks for the offer, I broke down and bought one. I did a engine swap for a coworker and had the need for it so now I have one! I really didn't want to do a full resto but I am most of the way there and have more time than money so what the hell! I need to get it done and want to join in on the cruises!
    Al

I've been busy gathering parts for a new ranchero project that we purchased..
    I'm hoping to have it road worthy by the end of summer and painted by next spring..
    A weekly meeting would be a bit much, but thats what cruise nights are for.. show your clubs colors at your local cruise in and drum up interest on new members..
    a once a month meeting would be ideal.. make it a convient place and hold it regularly at the same time and day of every month.. ie.. the first Saturday of every month at the local where ever..

Down side to all of this is I live on the wrong side of te state to attend awhole lot of the club functions.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Alsprint View Post
    I really didn't want to do a full resto but I am most of the way there and have more time than money so what the hell! I need to get it done and want to join in on the cruises!
    Al
    Well I am getting farther! The Falcon is if flight! Scrapping has begun!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    63 1/2 Sprint

That's great Al! It's cool to see how you used those frames I salvaged. Looks really sturdy. It may take awhile but that will be one really clean bird when you're done.

Now...I'm going to assume you'll be "scraping" it. I'd hate you see you scrap it after all that work . . . :-)

Looking forward to your first show. We should have another tech day and demonstrate how dirty you can get scraping the bottom of a 40+ year old car!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Quote Originally Posted by Alsprint View Post
    Well I am getting farther! The Falcon is in flight! Scraping has begun!
    That was a nice typo! thanks for the metal Kenny it was the perfct center bar! all the holes came pre drilled! It worked perfect! Al
    63 1/2 Sprint