Thread: Rust Repair!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rust Repair! Paint!

For the past year and half I have been trying to get everything working mechanically on my car. There were teething problems, but everything runs great now. The whole time my wife was asking:

"When are you getting it painted? When are you getting it painted? When are you getting it painted? When are you getting it painted?"

I took the leap and left it at a paint and body shop this past Monday. (It is a Maaco that was recommended to me by a friend who had his Corvette painted there. This particular shop has a good reputation with a lot of positive comments posted.) I pointed out some dime-sized rust bubbles along the quarter panels and they said that they would look at them. They e-mailed me photos yesterday and said that the rust turned out to be bigger than it had initially looked and offered a choice of repairing it with fiberglass or sheet metal. I did some internet reading last night and told them this morning at around 10:00 to repair it with sheet metal. They didn't waste time getting started. My wife went by there at 5:00 and took some pictures for me. They had already put the metal patches in place and they look good.

Falcon from side:
    Falcon from side.jpg

Left quarter panel before:
    Left quarter small.jpg

Left quarter panel patch:
    left qp patches.jpg

Right quarter panel before:
    Right quarter small.jpg

Right quarter panel patch:
    right qp patch.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 16th, 2013 at 03:41 PM.

Lookin' good. Is the "Wonder Falcon"going to stay black?
    IMG_0456cropthumb

Paint

Hello, Gina.

I am definitely keeping The Wonder Falcon its original black. It is the first black car that I have had and the color has grown on me. The black is really dramatic and highlights the chrome.

I am updating the type of paint. The car would have had enamel paint when new and enamel paint would be period correct, plus it is the least expensive option at Maaco. But, enamel is the lowest in durability and gloss compared to the other paint choices. I selected the top of the line modern base coat / clear coat finish that offers the best durability and highest gloss. 95% of new cars come with two-step application base coat / clear coat finishes

The available choices were (working their way upward in price and warranty length):
    chart.jpg

Enamel, Enamel with UV protection, Urethane (harder than enamel), Urethane + IC (integrated clear, meaning one-step paint mixed with clear coat), Base coat / clear coat (Dupont Nason paint), and base coat / performance clear coat with Dupont ChromaBase paint (twice as expensive as the Nason).

I selected the best:
    chart 3.jpg

I asked to have the underside of the hood painted and said that I would take the car to shows. The manager said that they usually turn a car around in 3 or 4 days and asked if I would mind if he kept mine for a couple of weeks. I told him to take his time that I had another car. I think that he really does want to do an especially good job on this car. We shall see and I am hoping for the best. I should get the The Wonder Falcon back some time this coming week.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 15th, 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Really looking forward to seeing the final product....(I wonder if your wife is related to mine?) I'm following the same philosophy...get mechanical all done first, then go to body, paint & upholstry. (and there's a lot of stuff to be done..) Are you also going to have them paint the engine compartment or trunk inside? Mine needs all that.
    Do you mind if I ask which Maaco you went to? i know Kenny also had a recomendation and wonder if it's the same one.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Uh-oh. Better get Maaco.

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Do you mind if I ask which Maaco you went to? i know Kenny also had a recomendation and wonder if it's the same one.
    Hello, dhbfaster.

It is located at 5409 Anderson Road, Tampa, Florida. (It is probably not the one that Kenny was recommending.)

The last time I had a car painted was my 1977 Dodge Colt in 1983. I tried to sand it myself, and bought a sandpaper disc that attached to my drill motor. I went over the car with it and then had it painted. It didn't turn out well. A girl told me that the car looked like it had a leather finish.

I didn't do any prep work myself on the Falcon because (based on my experience with the Colt), I figured that I would probably do more harm than good. Maaco said that they would just put masking tape over the side trim and window trim rather than remove it. That sounded good to me because if they pulled that stuff off, they might bend it or not be able to get it back on.

i know Kenny also had a recomendation and wonder if it's the same one.
    The local Maaco that gets good reviews and did Patrick's final base/clear is in Seattle, near Westlake & Mercer.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/maaco-auto-b...inting-seattle

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Paint and Body Update

Are you also going to have them paint the engine compartment or trunk inside?
    No, just the underside of the hood. Someone else had previously painted the engine compartment and the inside of the trunk. They look OK, but they unfortunately painted over all the wiring under the hood and inside the trunk with black paint while they were doing so. That has made tracing wires and figuring out color codes somewhat difficult.

The guy at Maaco sent me some updated photos today. They have finished the rust repairs and "will start sanding and prepping the rest of vehicle this week".

On the right and left quarter panels I asked him to keep the seam visible that runs along the top of the rocker panel to the rear fender. He traced a groove to replicate the original seam.

Left quarter:
    Left quarter s.jpg

Right quarter:
    right quarter s.jpg

They also repaired some rust on the tail:
    Tail s.jpg

Here are the front end left and right. The car looks like a 1960's gasser hot rod with the front bumper removed:

Front s.jpg

right side s.jpg

Paint update.

The paint shop has had my car for over three weeks now. I hadn't heard anything from them for a couple of weeks, so I stopped by today on my way home from work and saw that things are coming along very nicely. The manager (Danny) took me back into the shop and explained what they had been up to. He said that everyone who had been coming by to see their cars had been looking at my Falcon and asking if it was for sale!

Danny explained that they had hand sanded the car because they didn't know how much bondo it might have, and if they media-blasted it the bondo would be blown away. They sanded the hood, roof, and trunk down to bare metal and didn't find bondo, but he said that the paint had been really thick and that they had filled the shop up with dust from all the paint. He said that it looked that there had been maybe nine layers and that some of it had been lacquer (the car originally had baked enamel). He said that the thick paint was why the finish on mine had looked cracked and wrinkled.

They sanded the hood to bare metal and filled a number of small dents and dings to make it smooth.
    hood.jpg

They also sanded the roof. He said that it had no dents. They will paint the bare metal with self-etching primer, and then sealer, then the base coat, and then clear coat, and buff it when they are finished.
    Roof.JPG

The manager said that the trunk lid was the most dented, but they had sanded it down and filled and smoothed all the dents. (The trunk lid was probably dented from 50 years of setting grocery bags on it.)
    Trunk lid.JPG
    Last edited by ew1usnr; December 7th, 2013 at 05:33 AM.