Thread: New carpet

New carpet

Where is the best place to get new carpet for my 4 dr wagon? Price is a concern but a good fit and quality is important. Also lots of different types of sound deadeners out there like dyna mat and lizard skin, what have you all been using, or is using the stuff worth it?
    Last edited by melo-yelo; April 22nd, 2011 at 04:41 PM.
    Darren
    1948 Chev Sedan Delivery
    2006 Honda Element(Wifes taxi)
    1990 Dodge Cummins PU (350,000 miles strong)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am going to get my carpet from Rockauto.com (see another post for the current 10% discount code).

They sell ACC brand (probably most vendors do).

Your choices are "Cut and Sewn" or "Molded". If you buy the Molded, you can add an extra sound deadener to the back that not offered with the Cut and Sewn.

I'm a frugal guy and rather than the Dynamat, I bought a product off of ebay called "edead". It comes in different thicknesses, I went with the edead 45 which is the thinnest. It's about $1 a square foot. It seems like a good product and is VERY sticky... but I don't have anything to compare it to.

...Of course this was after the floorboard replacement, seam sealer and Eastwood Rust Encapsulator.

I just received mine from FalconParts.com. No doubt not the cheapest place, but was getting a bunch of other stuff anyway, so I threw them one of the many bones I've been throwing out lately. It was a molded set from ACC as well and it has the jute backing on it.

In the big lot of parts I bought for the 65 wagon (using 80% on this on the Ranchero - since it is all the same) I got some really thick die-cut pads of what looks like mondo Dynamat type stuff. Of course, I too have all new floors, but have not got as far as Jeff yet. Real soon now.

I do see a vendor on ebay all the time with molded carpet at like $154. May be good, but I don't know.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I also used ACC molded carpet (from Dearborn) for my Ranchero. First I put down a coat of Herculiner, then an inexpensive sound deadener, then the pad sold by Dearborn, then the carpet. I'm also adding (RSN) carpet to the bulkhead behind the seat. Haven't driven it yet, but hoping it's good enough. And I too, have nothing to compare it with. Gotta be better than the way I drove it home originally (worn out!).

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

RockAuto has it listed for $124 before the 10% discount. Unless you bought it locally, shipping will have to be calculated in.

I think most companies will provide color samples which is a good idea after looking at the huge number of choices.

Thanks for all the information. I don't need it right this minute so I think I will postpone getting it till after the Monroe swapmeet. I'm hoping that someone there will be selling sound deading, like they had at the Early bird swap meet at the Puyallup Fairgrounds last month. A buddy I was with bought a roll for like $75.00, it seemed like there was enough to do 2 or 3 cars. He says the label says enough to do the floor and roof of the average car. He says I can have what ever is left when we get done with his car, which should be this Saturday or Sunday (I love freebies).

He snuck in the "when WE get done with his car", I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend. So it's not really free.
    Darren
    1948 Chev Sedan Delivery
    2006 Honda Element(Wifes taxi)
    1990 Dodge Cummins PU (350,000 miles strong)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It all comes around. Do unto others - and all that.

I looked at the eDead stuff Brian and Jeff mentioned and it looks pretty decent. For extra sticky roofing tar they sure want a lot for stuff like this. I think there is an ice dam roofing material that is extra sticky.

I also saw some carpet on ebay for $114 the other day, but I didn't look around enough to see if they had all the colors and types. I'm not sure you'll find exactly what you want at the swap meet - but you never know.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"