Thread: Tech day in late May?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tech day in late May?

Hi guys,

It's hard to believe so many months have gone by so fast. I'm sure many of you are working hard on your Falcons, getting ready for the summer. My car has gone largely untouched for the past two years (after a brief stint as my daily driver) and I had high hopes for doing many things to it this summer. However, I will be having knee surgery June 5th and will may not be able to make it to any events much less work on my car for a month or more afterwards. Since I may be absent for a good part of the summer, I'm thinking about hosting a tech day at my house sometime next month.Here's a list of what I want to do this summer on my car;

Thorough cleaning and waxing

Pull head to have broken manifold bolts extracted (and if need be, have head rebuilt - I need to decipher my compression test figures first). Re-install with new Pony carb.

Replace non-self adjusting hardware in rear brakes with self-adjusting kit.

Drill holes in wheels to mount moon spiders, repaint wheels another color (I'm tired of the grey) and insall spiders
    http://www.mooneyesusa.com/catalog/p...1b6a21b88fea5b

Dismantle front end to determine what's causing clunking noise (all parts are new) and install new trimmed V-8 coils. Install pro-motorsports adjustable camber plate kit - this need's to be done at a shop as it requires welding.

Re re-seal front cowl as it's still leaking on passenger side

POR 15 floorpans and re-seal seams. Raise front seats

Wire nuetral safety switch

Install Pertronix and re-wire ignition

Although the front end work is really my top priority, I don't think I can get it done in one weekend. I'd rather the car not be stuck up on stands dissasembled during my knee surgery/recovery, so I think that will have to wait until later. If I can get the head pulled and re-conditioned before the tech day, then we could re-install it. The rear brake work would be something else we could do that day.

Does anyone else have interest in participating in a tech day, either to help or to get help on your own car? If so, what would you like to get done in an afternoon? The month is already pretty busy for me, but I'd like to suggest the weekend of the 26th/27th. I'll wait a week or two before I make it official and have Kenny put in on the calendar to see if there's enough interest, and to make sure I can fit it in as well.
    Last edited by Sedanman; April 22nd, 2007 at 07:23 PM.
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

That sounds like a great idea Thor. Thanks for volunteering. Sunday, the 27th, would be my preference but either day works. We could have a general meeting to discuss the summer plans, everyone could bring their favorite picnic snack and then we'll get some work done!

I would like to reinstall my front carpet while I'm there. I had it out because of some leaks I hope to seal up this summer. My driveway is really narrow so if you have room to "stretch out" it would make things easier.

So which of the projects on your list do you want to tackle? Do you have the Moon Spiders yet? Those will look cool on your steel wheels. If I recall, your wheels are pretty clean so it should take long to get them ready for paint.

If nobody has any suggestions, you can decide on times and I'll email all subscribers.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Hi Kenny,

My current driveway is 3 or 4 times the size of my last one, so assuming my landlord gets the shrubs trimmed by then there will be tons of room for working. I haven't decided yet what I want to do - my priority is the cylinder head as I'm tired of the noisy exhaust leak and poor gas mileage. I'd like to pull the head beforehand to have the machine work done and then re-install it on meeting day, but I don't know if I'll get to it in time.

If I don't do the head, installing the rear brake hardware and the spiders would be easy things to do. I haven't ordered the spiders yet - I'm debating about getting a Moon metal flake slotted steering wheels too. With the spiders, and the steering wheel with a bullet center cap the car would actually look like a custom instead of a lowered stocker

I'm not too good with electrical stuff, so if I could get help with wiring the nuetral safety switch and re-routing the ignition wire as reccomended by pertronix that would be cool. I have to check to see if my pertronix ignitor still works - I first installed it several years ago and I can't remember if the car just ran poorly or I actually fried it!
    Thor Johnson
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

Just let me know a date and time and I'll get the word out. I can bring my electrical kit. I've done the pertronix unit already and it's pretty easy.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Hi Kenny,

I can't remember how we did the tech day at Alan's last year. Do you start with lunch, then have the meeting, and then work on cars? If so, I was thinking about starting at noon. I'm still waiting to see if anyone else is interested before I commit to a date, although it most likely will be the 27th. However, that is in the middle of a holiday weekend so I'm wondering if I should do it a week earlier.

Thor
    Thor Johnson
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan

I apologize for not responding in awhile. I say we do Sunday, June 3rd at noon. Since the 28th is Memorial Day I'm guessing some people will have plans or be out of town.

If that's OK with you then I'll send out an email to everyone. I know I'll be there! I'm sure we can get a lot of your projects done and we can cook something on the grill.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com