Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

144 ThriftPower Six

Sorry about posting this twice. Once the second one was posted I could not figure out a way to delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    To those of you un-names on vacations and galavanting around other parts of the country...I know you will be there in spirit and we'll get out an update so you can check in.
    Hello, Don.

I like your little 144 ThriftPower Six and am looking forward to hearing that you guys have brought it back to life.

After that I will look forward to seeing photos of you and your family taking it on trips.

Dennis in Tampa.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 8th, 2016 at 07:44 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Granddad's falcon came to life today!
    Hopefully this link to the video works:

https://youtu.be/gvnpMx4lqD8

Still some work to do on the carb. Still need to finish the front suspension and doors, and mirrors...and a list of other minor things, but it's getting close.
    Kenny got a lot done on the doors today.
    Huge thanks to Kenny and Roger today as well as everyone who has helped all along the way and those there in spirit today.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Saving Granddad's Falcon

It's Alive!!!!!!!!!!! Frankenstein would be proud! Wish I could have been there. Carol and I should be back in town in late May. Hope to see the car at shows after that. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Congratulations! Nice work everyone. It sure sounds smooth and looks great.

Good idea to have Kenny laying on the ground watching for oil gushers. That's the excuse he uses at work too... I tell him it must be hard to see with his eyes closed and all that snoring disturbing him.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Thanks everyone.

Roger- Debbie sent me a note about the carb and is wondering if it's possible it could be the spark arrester (aka power valve??). A pic attached...the left one in the pic is what came off, the right was new??
    Also...here are the pictures for the carb during before, during and after Debbie rebuilt it. https://www.flickr.com/photos/408343...7666852771562/

Worst case I do see one NOS carb on eBay (pricey...and wouldn't it need new gaskets, etc. (rebuild kit anyway??) Also, some rebuilt ones with a guarantee on eBay and at Macs. (also pricey.) I didn't see any new (yet) ones like I mentioned earlier.

Kenny...your jacket is in my garage... too bad, you might have to come back to get it. Maybe you can take care of the other front door while you are here... Just kidding. I'll get that to you somehow if you don't come back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Congrats!

Don and Crew, Congratulations! Sorry I couldn't be there to witness.
    The video worked great, Don.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I'll grab the jacket next time we see each other. I could probably get the other door done in about 20 minutes after doing the first one. Took a lot of time just to figure out what went where and in what order.

Good luck on the carb. It sounded great and once you get that figured out it should be smooth sailing!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Sound good Kenny! I'll save it for you.
    Roger- I am cleaning up (derust and paint) the old big round "washers" and "tubes" from the tie rod bushing kit so we can use those with the bushings after you machine them. I will also try to get the nut on the tie rod loose one more time.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Roger is meticulous.

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Roger- I am cleaning up (derust and paint) the old big round "washers" and "tubes" from the tie rod bushing kit so we can use those with the bushings after you machine them.
    Bushing Installation Diagram.jpg

Roger is machining the rubber bushings?

I smeared mine inside and out with silicone grease prior to installation.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 11th, 2016 at 02:37 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Interesting. That set looks like the 2nd set I bought (which doesn't fit.) However, neither set came with instructions. (Mine is different than both sets.) Now I can see how the orientation (direction) of the large washers is designed to be. Can you post another picture of those instructions showing the entire instruction? The torque is also interesting.
    Roger is meticulous...I generally am too...but even I would have used the hack saw on this and never thought of machining them. Machining them will be much better though. Thanks Dennis.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Thanks Don. I'll have a look at this all while I have it open too. Power valve "looks" have changed, so I'm not sure that will reflect on the function. If they are in the bag, I'll look close at it all.

It did seem to run gooder in the beginning and only as it ran longer did it start running less than gooder. So if I don't see anything in the carb we'll have to brainstorm a bit.

D- One thing I'm wondering is the valve adjustment. These are solid rockers I think, so maybe as the valves seated themselves and the cam broke in we had something(s) go too tight. May have to pop the valve-cover and check them anyway. They would have only had a cold adjustment. Look at it from your side too.

As I explained to Don I'm not sure I've ever seen a set of these bushings being all the same. Every brand made them "better" than the next. These bushings I've been carving/machining on are very hard solid rubber. Not like any I've ever seen on a strut-rod. I've also seen instructions with washers cupped out on both sides.

So, as I searched for the word on Saturday that would not come (it was "defy") I defy anyone to find instructions for setting up strut rods with factory parts. I've looked. Logic tells me how I think they should be setup, but maybe they are further adjusted at the alignment shop.

I think we only need to shorten one bushing - the front side. As it stands the back bushing, washer, installed bring the the lower control arm forward to the right spot (as I see they should be). But the same thickness on the front keep me from installing the second washer and then the nut. If the front bushing was trimmed (machined) I could get it on.

D- I don't think those sleeves will fit in these bushing. Clean them if you would like, but not sure we can use them.

D- I'm not sure which NUT you are referring to. If the Strut-rod and not tie-rod, don't bother. I think when I'm done, we'll be fine.

But yeah, nothing new fit correctly as-is. Frame holes were too small, strut rod diameter too small. Nuts too big or too small. Washers too big to clear. This set I'm using were too thick only, but ID was fine, though the new nut they supplied would not thread on. Original bushings seemed they would, if reinstalled, pull the lower control arm forward almost 10 degrees, which I would think would be a heavy bind on the control arm bushing. So I'm not trimming these that much.

OK I've rambled enough...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"