Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Volkswagen Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    That might be the retirement project some day Larry...
    Hello, Don.

If Larry gets feisty, you can start bragging about the great gas mileage that you are getting.

This is a picture of Don ==>
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Saving Granddad's Falcon

There are no feisty bones in my pudgy little body. I just happen to have a right foot that is made out of lead. I posted what my gas mileage was on this forum somewhere but can't find it. It was over 20 MPG I do remember that. Which isn't too bad for dual carbs and a mild racing cam.
    When I had the C4 transmission it was no where near that good, but with the T5Z it works out great.
    When you grow up like I did, drag racing every Friday and Saturday night I guess you revert back to that when you get old like me.
    Everyone has their own desires in rebuilding one of these beautiful cars. For me, it will probably always be in the form of a hot rod.
    Which reminds me. I have a new tee shirt ordered that says "Some grandfathers play bingo, I drive hot rods". Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

So, I think I've got holes where these light switches in the pic go.
    I'm assuming mine, being a basic model, never had them...a bit torn as to whether or not to put some in. (One more mod away from the original interior). Are they easy to hook up?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Yes and no. They feed a dome light, and if you didn't put one in, that could be hard once the headliner is in. You could feed some floor courtesy lights instead, like those on early mustangs and a certain Ranchero I know of.

You'll need a harness too, which I have an extra one of. You probably have the connectors in the dash harness for that already.

WIAI!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

There is a dome light there, but it only turns on/off manually by rotation of the headlight knob.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Oh, that's good. There is a two-wire T'd harness that plugs into where that dome light wire is going and the switches you add get 12v constant on one side (supplied by the harness) and the other side to the dome light connection you have now. So you put 12v to the dome light either by the headlight switch or the door switch. Pretty simple install with the harness.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Sounds pretty simple. Anyone you know of sell that harness?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I have one or two. You can have one.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Appreciate the offer Roger- I might take you up that if I can get by in June.

I drove the falcon to work Friday afternoon and put about 25 miles on it between there, going to the chiropractor, and driving around before I went home. The engine run absolutely perfect and tranny and clutch seemed perfect as well. I've got to get the right tires. Everyone commented about them....just can't see buying rubber that is going to rot in my garage yet.

Funny thing- Gene, remember that the front ball joints didn't seem like they didn't have enough grease in them? I couldn't seem to get more in with my small hand gun at home so I stopped into Jiffy Lube on the way home to have them try it using a professional gun with more pressure. Guess what- they were out of grease! What kind of place with "lube" in the name runs out of grease? I thought that was pretty funny.

There's some kind of popping sound when I do a hard turn like out of the driveway or into a parking spot. It seems to be coming from the passenger side front suspension. I was wondering if it's just due to the ball joints not having enough grease (so I thought I'd try that first- but didn't get a chance to.) I suspect it might have something to do with the lower control arm having that twist in it that Larry and Gene helped bang back into shape. I stuck my head under and took a peek, and it seems to not be as straight as when we installed it back on the car. Anyway, that's for next trip to find out. Anyone have any ideas...please post!

I also have some kind of light so "clang, clang" sound coming from the trunk area. Haven't figured that out yet, but I don't think it's the diffy. I heard it once when I closed the trunk, then played with the trunk lid springs a bit and it didn't happen when I closed the trunk after- but I haven't had a chance to drive it again since then.

I also heard the drivers side spring mount knock...Roger, not sure if you remember the front mount for the leaf springs that's bent? So the mounting bolt with the big cup washer does not fit into the cup (the bolt was bent before- I straightened it but maybe shouldn't have. I'll need to figure out how to address that one way or another at some point.

I decided my "take back to Canada" project is the steering wheel. It's in my suit case along with everything else I think I'll need except the paint. I have a free weekend coming up. I hope I can get the paint delivered in time.

Speaking of my flight back to Canada today....it was supposed to be a direct flight. The pilot got on and said the smoke alarm went off for the baggage compartment and the fire suppression system went off and they had to make an emergency landing in Spokane! They were very professional, but I thought there was a small chance that I should have updated my will and make sure the falcon was going to Jason, and then if Jason didn't want it, done it to Roger to use for the benefit of the club in whatever way he see's fit...but about 7 minutes later we were on the ground. They stopped the plane immediately and sent the emergency crew out. No fire, and apparently the fire suppression system didn't go off. Four hours later and I'm sure a lot of paperwork they sent a plane from Vancouver and I'm on my flight to Toronto now.

I decide to push the radio project down the road a bit and focus on the steering wheel. I emailed Joe's radio restoration about the tuner and he said there is a clutch in the tuner inside that when you push a tuning preset button disengages so that the button can move the tuner to the channel it's set to. He said they have to take it apart and replace the "clutch" which is basically a plastic rubber like disc that over time gets too hard and slippery. Anyway, I was going to try and figure out the capacitors to order and have them delivered the house for when I am back in June. Planning a two week visit late June and early July including some "staycation." Hopefully I can bring the radio over Roger and check the tubes.

I'll post some pics on the steering wheel project when I get it going.
    Last edited by dhbfaster; April 30th, 2017 at 06:40 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Appreciate the offer Roger- I might take you up that if I can get by in June.
    It may just be in your mailbox when you get home...
    2017-05-01 09.43.45.jpg

There's some kind of popping sound when I do a hard turn like out of the driveway or into a parking spot.
    Dry joints would be my first guess as well

I also have some kind of light so "clang, clang" sound coming from the trunk area. Haven't figured that out yet, but I don't think it's the diffy. I heard it once when I closed the trunk, then played with the trunk lid springs a bit and it didn't happen when I closed the trunk after- but I haven't had a chance to drive it again since then.
    Trunk torsion springs should have one of them wrapped with a coil of rubber or Teflon or something to keep one from rubbing and clanging against the other. Not the best picture, but you can see...

springwrap.jpg

I also heard the drivers side spring mount knock...Roger, not sure if you remember the front mount for the leaf springs that's bent?
    Vaguely recall maybe reading of it. If I looked at it in person, that I don't recall.

Hopefully I can bring the radio over Roger and check the tubes.
    I'll make sure my tube tester book lists these specific tubes. If not, then you may just want to buy some of them new to be sure.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"