Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a 250 Flywheel

Need a 250 Flywheel

Hello,

Yes I'm at it again.. I wanted more performance but wanted to keep the six so I'm building a neat little 250ci motor..

I've long rodded the engine with connecting rods from a 2.5L Ford taurus engine.. yea they put 4 bangers in tauruses.. These rods are .100" longer than the stock 250 rods.. I have .150" to zero deck not counting headgasket thickness..

I'm having a custom ground camshaft made for it as I want to try a split duration cam and nobody makes it like I want it.

The problem I'm having is finding a flywheel for it.. I want to keep my five speed so I need a 250 flywheel..

I've heard that I can take a 289/302 flywheel and zero balance it for the six but I'd rather not..

Can anyone help the falcon nut?

Thank you,
    Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Ford did have a brief period of zero balance 302s. They went from 28 to 0 and then to 50. I'm no expert on the 250 six but if a standard small block V8 flywheel fits, you can buy a new zero balance unit.

The Ford Racing catalog lists a billet 157 tooth flywheel with zero ballance. The part number is M-6375-D302.

Summit Racing has it online.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6375-D302B/
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Pat,
    yes I can use a SBF flywheel had to do a little more research but I havent gotten anyone to tell me no I can't.. So I can use a zero balance flywheel..

I found one on E-bay for a fair price.. was hoping for a Fomoco orginal to save even more coin and take any guess work out of it..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Ok need a bell housing

Ok I found a flywheel...

Now I need a bell housing.. The one I have might not work.. I have a D1TE-6394-aa which fits a 351 but looks to be a truck bell which is too deep..

Any body know where to find a 6 bolt SBF Bell??

I havent looked at e-bay yet..

I might be selling one soon though

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

These guys should have something.

http://www.moderndriveline.com/

You could probably source one from a T5 equipped 5.0 Mustang.
    Patrick Brown

I could.. I've been toying with the idea of hydraulic clutch..

But in the mean time I was thinking of using the z-bar system.. but I need to check if the 250 block has the boss for the pivot of if the bell has the pivot for the z-bar..

I'll research hydraulic clutches.. I'm only in the parts gathering stage as I'm waiting for the machine work to be finished before i start assembly and disassembly..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

A hydraulic clutch would be nice. You could also get one of the cable clutch kits from the website I posted earlier.

I've heard of people using Mazda clutch masters. I'm not sure what model. Maybe the 323?

For the slave, you should be able to use this.
    http://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-SC33.../dp/B000CPAOSQ

It attaches using the bellhousing to engine bolts. It pushed to the rear. You should be able to find one at a local Napa store.
    Patrick Brown

I prefer my local O'reilly. Only because I'm a manager at one..
    atleast thats how I feel after work sometimes..

My friend jeff said add hydraulic to his 64 wasn't that difficult. but then he has no shock towers so theres lots of room..

I'd love to just use a t-5 bell but those bells use a fork that pulls instead of push.. If I could find a push t-5 bell I'd have the best of both worlds..

I dont care for the big loop that the clutch cable set up creates.. atleast the mustang kits I looked at anyways..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    I dont care for the big loop that the clutch cable set up creates.. atleast the mustang kits I looked at anyways..
    I agree. It looks kinda funny. I have a friend with one in a 69 Mustang. It has a nice feel.

I don't think you will have a problem fitting the master. They are quite small.
    Patrick Brown

I need to do more research..

The Bell I have is a D1TA-6394-AA which according to David Kee is a 351 Bell but I find lots (the majority) of the ebay bells are the same part number and they have them listed for every engine under the sun..

I measured the depth and its not a truck bell which means I should be able to use it..

So I'm confused, too much questionable info out there..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

The 351W uses the same bolt pattern as a six bolt 289, and 302. As long as the pivot is right and the depth is okay it should work.

Wilwood has a universal pull style slave that you could use. It's not as cheap as that Raybestos though.
    Patrick Brown

I wonder if Speedway has a universal pull style slave..

It seems that t-5 bells are easier to find than the older stuff.
    I could build a hydraulic clutch using a pull slave and be shifting in comfort.. though I'll probably have to fab mounting brackets..

Nathan

Still reading up on bell hosings
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Back to bell housings. You can also use a stock 250 bell or a four speed bell from a 289/302/351W. You would then just need the T5 adapter plate.

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=58563

Here is the adapter for a T5 to 4speed bell.

This link will take you to a list of adapter plates from Modern Driveline.
    http://www.safepay.net/cgi-bin/shop/...oderndriveline
    Patrick Brown

Boy the Maverick forums has lots of good info..

The bell was used in a truck or 351C cars
    It is a 164 tooth bell which allows me to use a 164 tooth flywheel (new search) but also allows me to run an 11" clutch.. If I have room in the engine compartment I can use the bell, but I may need a BFH to make it fit

Back to my reading..

joy

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

I would stick to the 157T bells. You'll need a much smaller hammer. A 10.5" clutch will be more than enough behind a 250 in such a light car.
    Patrick Brown