Thread: Splash sheild install??

Splash sheild install??

Ok someone tell me there is an easier way to install the inner fender splash shields.. Those little staples are too big for the existing holes. Do you drill each hole out or just swear at each one till it goes in?? I am toying with the idea of glueing them in place like the door moldings..
    It is either that or Roger needs to come over for a day... Hmmm maybe trailer the car over for tech day??? Never mind the ferry fees would kill me..

I used the door seal adhesive to hold everything and then drilled the holes slightly bigger for the staple installation.

Thought it might be something like that. Want to come and do mine???
    Oh well it will be a nice change from body work.

I did both glue and screw up front - not on the back bumper or core-support seal. Don't trust just the glue. I glued them up and called it a night to let the glue cure. It was half undone in some spots come morning.

I used as many of the original holes as I could, but did have a little cordless drill and the right sized drill bit to ream the holes if need be. Make your life easy and ream them all up. Pre-bend the staple to fit the holes, using a pair of pliers - insert and then bend. I could say "I am now an expert."

When possible, you should back the hole with a piece of wood if you have to drill any new holes. I had a lot that were one half the staple hit metal - the other half hit air (and rubber). Also, use a block of something solid to push against the staple back as you bend the legs.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"