Thread: '62 - 170 needs new engine/rebuild. Where?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

'62 - 170 needs new engine/rebuild. Where?

Fixing a 1962 2door 170. Just found out I need a rebuild and its very expensive. I need either a less expensive rebuild or new engine. Who could do the work? Who has a good engine for sale? Will a different engine fit in this car without having to change everything? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jon W

If you can remove and reinstall the engine yourself.
    Any engine rebuilder could rebuild your existing motor.

The last 170 cost about $1000 to rebuild. Parts and machine work. I assembled it myself.

The other engine option is a 200 ci. I dont think you're going to find a new 200 or 170.

You might be able to find an engine exchange place. Exchange yours for an already rebuilt engine.

Why does your current engine need the rebuild?
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

The guy thats working on it says it's knocking hard and theres a leak in the head gasket - among other things. I don't know all the particulars but he's been calling around to find a rebuild and the price is close to $4,000. Seems way to high. He can pull and replace it. I plan on calling around today but I'm hoping to find a place a Falcon owner has used and is happy with (and the right price).
    Thanks for the reply and info.

$4k for a rebuilt six.. um yea.. no..

I have a guy that knows ford sixes but he's located on the right side of the state..

If its knocking yours should be rebuild able. Just gotta remove, rebuild and reinstall. Time consuming but engine shops should be slowing down about now..
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

I had S&J Engines remanufacture mine...it looks beautiful, but I don't have it in the car yet...so I can't say it's tested. https://www.sandjengines.com/rebuilt...62-FORD-FALCON you can see some pics of mine as I got it back from them on my "Saving granddad's falcon thread"
    Looks like they have yours ready to go for $1550 (the link above will take you there.) They will also do yours if you want the same block back which is what I did and it only took about a week. That price is plus tax and transportation, but the transportation was only $100 round trip from my house in Federal Way, WA.

Now I just need a day to get it back in!

Good luck.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree