Thread: valves need release?

valves need release?

Did valve lifters need to be pressed before head mount on block? European
    engines need to *release*lifter because oil is still in him and additional oil will keep valve open and engine wont start.
    My Falcon have 200 CI engine from 1965.It is hard to find parts in Europe so
    if i failed i must sell my left kidney for next parts!
    Happy New wear for all of you!

Valve Adjust 1965 200-6

IF the rocker arms are adjustable, the valve lash clearance should be .066-.216 inch (1.7-5.5 mm) with the lifters COLLAPSED (released). Obtain the correct clearance by turning the adjusting screws on the rocker arms.

IF the rocker arms DO NOT have adjusters, the valve lash clearance should be .067-.200 inch (1.7-5.1 mm) with the lifters collapsed. If the lash does not fall within that range, the BOOK says you must use shorter or longer push rods. I hope you have adjustable rocker arms!

Needless to say, these measurements must be taken with the the piston at Top Dead Center with both valves closed (top of the power stroke). The book also says the lifters can be collapsed by applying pressure on the push rod end of the rocker arm. This means you can mount the head and THEN collapse the lifters.

This information comes from Motor's Auto Repair Manual, 34th Edition, covering years 1965-1971.

Happy New Year to you as well!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

i *relise* my nerv!

thank you ,63 hardtop,you must work in school in next life,remember it!
    I have adjusters on valves so it must be an easy job.