Thread: New to the forum

New to the forum

Hello to all Falcon owners; it's nice to know there's a local group of enthusiasts. I look forward to talking to you and sharing experiences & ideas.

Early this year I bought a '65 Ranchero Deluxe, a factory 289 4 speed car. Over the summer I've done a lot of work on it, including new front suspension, disc brakes & brake lines, new fuel tank, new exhaust, and added subframe connectors. It's a blast to drive! Here's a few photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the club beerbelly!
    Any more plans? We looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I'm pretty much out of funds for projects this year. Next year will be a new windshield & seal, headliner and door panels.

Still waffling about wheels- Torque Thrusts & Cragars are popular, but I'm leaning toward Rocket Igniters. What are some of the wheels you guys run?

Welcome. Nice looking car. Congrats. You've piqued my interest (ears sticking WAY up). Where did you find a new fuel tank?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Welcome Mr. Belly!

Welcome. I take it from the Oregon plates you are in Oregon? Or did you get it in Oregon and are more local to the Seattle-ish area? There is a Columbia River chapter of the FCA as well, but we cater to the rest of Washington and parts of Florida, Greece, Australia...

Nice looking 'chero. A lot of nice add-ons. Like Gene (Smithkid) my interest was piqued with the mention of a new gas tank, since we've both got '65's using the same tank type - though I have a '65 wagon and he's got a '65 Ranchero like yours. Maybe it was a 'new to you' tank, but not new-new?

I just did sub-frame connectors on my '63 Ranchero - made a lot of difference to stiffness. Mine was a 6-cyl car to start, so was probably more noticeable than it might be for a real V8 car with torque boxes. But it changed the car a lot. Was amazed.

Looking forward to seeing more of your car.

Have you looked under the bed cover yet?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Hi Luva65wagon. Yes, I'm in NW Oregon, and yes, I've looked under the bed cover. It was in good shape, no rust, but I sealed the seams & sprayed it with undercoating for peace of mind.

The gas tank is a brand new 20 gallon, specific to '65 Rancheros, wagons & sedan deliveries. It came from Falconparts.com, a really great source for parts, and based on the West Coast so delivery times are quick. Here's a link to the tank- I couldn't find a better price:

http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falc...ON-70p7043.htm

I also have my old tank for sale for $100. In very nice shape on the outside, but rusty inside. Includes a new lock ring & gasket, and I have a shipping box if it needs to be shipped.

The subframe connectors transformed this car; after disc brakes, the best money I've spent. No more squeaks & groans, and it corners much better.
    Last edited by beerbelly; November 30th, 2015 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks for the link, Beerbelly. The last time I looked, there were no new tanks available (at least, I didn't find any). I've been limping along with my original tank, though it has an abundance of dirt/rust/crud that seems to have the ability to pass through my filters (I now have two) and into the float bowl to cause me problems now and then. I now have the new tank added to my list of "wantas". The list already included sub-frame connectors after hearing Roger's (Luva65Wagon) recent report about his Ranchero. Seems like the list only gets added to with $$$ beside the items.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Ron @ FalconParts.com must have had this tank commissioned, or they are now generally available. It's been a couple years since Gene and I lamented over these not being available anywhere. That was about the time I put a new tank into my Ranchero.

My wagon doesn't seem to spit up any crud from the tank and as-such I've never peered inside it, but I know Gene needs to give Santa some $$$ so he can get one. Price seems reasonable if shipping didn't go through the roof. What, if we can ask, did it cost you all-tolled to get the tank?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"