Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

I would if it wasn't $500 and my last experience with one wasn't a leaker, which though it hasn't happened will be causing the removal of the transmission. I like the idea of external stuff, but I agree the feel was nice.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Slowly plugging along with this update. Gene and I mounted the flywheel and bell-housing last Wednesday and mounted a dial indicator in the hole to measure run-out. Tremec has a pretty strict .010 total run-out for these transmissions and I was pretty bummed to see the dial swing .085! The solution to this is to use off-set block pins clocked just-so to shift the bell-housing over to better center it. They don't make offset pins to fix and error that large, so being I had rain coming into the garage and now this issue... I went into the house.

Friday morning I was expecting the roofing contractor to come give me an estimate on my roof so I got under the car to put the bell and stare at things a little while I waited. When I did I noticed it didn't look like the bell housing was actually pulled up tight to the block due to the cable-clutch boss hitting the headers (left lower corner of the picture). So I pulled it off and filed the back-side of this section until it no longer touched the headers - and re-ran the run-out test. This time it was .007!

WhoHoo!

2016-11-02 18.32.40.jpg

I also thought that was a pretty appropriate number as well!

So now comes figuring out where to punch the hole in the floor for the shifter and then I can install the transmission and work on the mount. MDL sent the S10 cross-member, but I'm doing the Ford housing, so that ain't gonna work like they said it would. So will probably use the C4 mount I had with only minor hole elongating.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Well is this bad boy running again or what?? Update update!!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Fine, fine...

It's been slowly coming together. Only having a couple days a week to work on it. Gene came out on Friday and wanted to be entertained, so I thought I'd entertain him with a couple rolls of blue tape.

grille63.jpg

After I mocked the transmission into the tunnel (no clutch or anything) I made the hole for the shifter to go through. This cut right through the cross-member brace, so I had to do some welding to solidify that to the floor sheetmetal. And I didn't want the gaping holes down into that cross-member piece on each side, so I cut me some patch panels and closed those off, seam-sealed them, and then undercoated the underside again. Kind of a black hole now, should have taken a picture before gooping it in black.

floorhole2.jpg

Gene is going to be mad at me, but the show must go on... I put the clutch and everything back in on Saturday and put in the transmission. Way easy - especially after pulling the shifter handle out. Had it in within a couple minutes.

floorhole.jpg T5in.jpg

Then I started working on a hole patch cover to reduce the hole size around the shifter. Will probably wrap that in a rubber gasket too.

floorhole3.jpg

Then I can start my work on fitting a clutch master and slave to this, which is where the real fun begins. I'm using the clutch slave and master from a Mazda MPV because I liked how the reservoir was remote. It's gotta fit just below the brake master cylinder... somehow.

ClutchMC.jpg
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Is that the grill I powered for you like two years ago?? Dang dude.
    As far as the black stuff, "you gotta goop what you gotta goop!"
    Nice work, how do you think she's gonna skoot when it's back together?
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

He is going to go to the drag strip with me next year!!!!!!!! The installation looks very good. Bet you can't wait to bang some gears. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Roger on the drag strip? I'm not buying that, he's too obsessed with keeping his cars clean. I don't see him wanting to clean rubber off his rear quarter panels!!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I think it would be great to take it down the track, but would never compete with you Larry. As for cleaning it up afterward - heck I'd leave the rubber. Same color as the rest of it.

I've felt the car lost some character when I went to the V8. It was fun to drive, though somewhat gutless, with the 200/4-speed. It was for sure quicker with the 289/C4, but not much fun. So I think the 5-speed will bring back some of that joy. The main thing, though, is that it won't be screaming at me all the time on the freeway since swapping the rear-end out. Having the OD will get the RPM's into normal range.

And yes, Steve, Gene is working on painting the grill you had on the SD before you were gifted with the coo-de-gra (however that's spelled) of gifts. While I have that grill out I'm seriously considering doing what Larry did:
    http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...&postcount=107
    He pushed the radiator forward quite a bit. I have a mere 2.25" between my radiator and the end of the water pump. Getting a fan to fit in this space and not hit anything has been very hard. Fan that was in there had to be bent in many places to fit. May go electric if I gain enough room somehow.

Here's the finished filler plate over the shifter. Not seen is the rubber gasket I draped into the hole. Because I've done 3 transmissions and the carpet is looking pretty ratty with holes - I'm debating replacing the carpet. Unless I can think of an alternative. That's not priority, but the removing the old shifter hump could happen if I changed the carpet. Not needed with a T5.

floorhole4.jpg
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; November 15th, 2016 at 12:27 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"