Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Classic Inlines Performance out of biz? Recommendations 4 headers?

I highly recommend reading the Freddie Comes Alive thread here before you commit to your purchase. I'm fully aware the build can be done, having made one work, but a previous Falcon owner had equal enthusiasm prior to his build - only to eventually sell the car in frustration. I have a lot of my personal observations about this head in that thread that may help you pull it off.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I read the thread you mentioned.
    It was difficult to follow what the history of the build and later fixes were, but it seems you found the build quality of both the cam shaft and head to be suspect though.

Would you have any recommendations on making both of these purchases that could eliminate or mitigate these issues?
    If this was your build, but not your personal car, would you even consider the inline 6 after that experience?

I'm worried now that the only recommendations I'll find here is something other than the inline 6. Don't get me wrong, i can listen to reason, but its the emotional turmoil of breaking up with my latest plan that gets me.
    Matt
    '63 Falcon Futura Convertible 170ci Special C4 Auto
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo

Matt,

You can build a pretty hot 6 without spending $2500 on just the head (or whatever they go for these days). Personally, if it were me having been the one building the motor and not just being the one who now has to figure out what a half-dozen other people did, and I wanted to use that head, I'd do port fuel injection and a 5-speed. These two items would have negated the lions-share of time spent on tinkering with it - and would have probably kept the car in the original owners possession as well. He had big eyes for the prospect of what this head would produce, but there were more hassles than it was worth; and every issue had root in this head swap. Not all 100% caused by the head, but because of what the head requires.

Granted, bling factor is substantial, and it has the potential for power you would be hard pressed to make with stock 6 parts, but you won't get too far from it with a machined big-log head of the correct match (internal bits: pistons, valve sizes, head volume, etc.). But none of this will substitute for opening the hood and seeing a big chunk of aluminum all shined up.

So, don't get me wrong, it has potential, but be aware the pitfalls. That's basically where I'm coming from
    .. as a "been there, done that" sort of thing.

If you plan on an automatic, be sure to use a block allowing good torque converter selection with ample stall. You can't buy one off the shelf to fit a small bell housing block. Custom built TC will be around $500,and still be puny. This was a significant issue as the original owner blew up two TC's before getting a custom TC. Mostly due to the cam. Even a 2500 stall TC barely allowed it to shift into gear correctly. But you want a lot of cam to have the head provide more than bling. Again consider a 5-speed. You'll have far better experience. But you'll still want a large bell housing block for even this. A 8.5" clutch disc isn't enough, unless you can get a double stack clutch setup for this, which is doubtful.

Because the VI head has unequal length intake runners, port fuel injection would increase the tuning potential a lot. The 390 Holley works - and it really is the only carburetor you can use - but you'll be fiddling with it a lot. Perhaps a standard throttle - body style EFI would be more forgiving, but I didn't have the luxury.

So, in all, I'm just one guy who took over a project from another guy. I'm sure there are other guys who had totally different experiences with it. I looked to them back then with little luck. I really felt I was on my own - as did the original owner, who was paying others to do the work and breaking the bank to do so. I'm not trying to dissuade you from attaining your vision; you'll fail not having one, just offering a little flashlight to help you see it a little better.

Hope something here made sense. Really should have at least one cup of coffee before writing stuff like this.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I kinda feel like everything to do with this cars engine is not a good option for me. I am a good mechanic, however i am not an auto mechanic. Nor am i an engineer. I find that nearly everything i could do to improve this cars engine requires me to re-engineer the engine and drivetrain far beyond my abilities, and at a cost that only makes me look like an idiot.

I am already too financially invested in non-returnable 4-lug stuff to swallow the V8 upgrades needed for that route. Its hard to picture that build going much better than the 6 because i would need a whole new drivetrain once again.

Simply rebuilding a 200 is a hard pill to swallow. Its hard to explain why, but i just want something more substantial for my money. I'm looking for a steak, not a burger.

The other option i have been dreading is sell now before i get too deep. I could take the money i have now, the money i get from selling the Falcon, and buy something that already works.

I don't make much in my career. This is very likely to be the only chance i will ever get to have a toy that i've wanted since i was a kid.

Thanks for all the advice Roger, sometimes a good gut punch is the only thing that will get me to drop that bone between my teeth.
    Matt
    '63 Falcon Futura Convertible 170ci Special C4 Auto
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo

Matt,

I just had my last reply go POOF!

So to cut to the chase... What is your goal and how much of what you now have is being reused? 170/C4?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"